Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kindergarten teasing- what would you do?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM
  • 20 Replies

My youngest is 5- kindergarten.  She still needs to wear a pull-up at night because she occasionally has accidents.  One of the girls in her class is a really mean little brat... somehow, she found out that my girl wears a pullup at night, and started teasing her about it.  I found out because another parent heard her do it and scolded her, then told my spouse.  This kid is a real brat, and has been pestering and teasing my kid since summer camp.  Now THIS... my inclination is to talk to the mother first...

my kid could easily clean her clock- she is very muscular and tall for her age, BUT... we don't fight, we use our words.  This kid makes the rounds with her teasing, and it is my kid's turn in the barrel, but I am not inclined to just ignore it...

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:18 PM

My son had a boy calling him names earlier in the year (he's in 1st grade).  My son didn't even know this boy's name.  He was just a crap kid from another class who apparently is a bully's bully.  I didn't step in until my son informed me that he was fed up.  I emailed his teacher (even though the boy was in another class) and we set up an appt for my son to speak with the school counselor.  She gave him a really good photo chart and they had a talk about appropriate responses to name calling and when it requires asking for help from an adult.  They try to empower the kids to use their own voices FIRST and then seek help.  It stopped after that as I'm sure the boy's teacher also had a nice talk with him while my son was working his end.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I would tell her to continue to use her words when fighting back and if she ignores it, the child will most likely move on to another person.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I would tell her to continue to use her words when fighting back and if she ignores it, the child will most likely move on to another person.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I'd let the teacher know what's going on. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Mention it to the teacher and role play with your dd on what she can say to this girl.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Mention it to the teacher and role play with your dd on what she can say to this girl.

This, especially teaching your kid how to empower herself against teasing. 

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Thanks!

PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I would take my complaint to the teacher and the principal.  

wintermoon111
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:14 PM
When my son was 5 he was being bullied by a kid in his class who was known as a kid who lived with his grandmother and didnt come from a good home-yeah fine but he would bother my son, scream in his face and take toys away from him-well I told my son to tell the boy to stop and if he didnt let the teacher know(I was a mother watching kids from my house so my parents would drop off and pick up) I had my mother tell the teacher (when my son didnt want to go to school anymore because of the boy)-teacher said she would handle it-she didnt do it enough because it continued..so had my mother tell her again..finally my son comes home and tells me the boy hit him, so now I decide "I may be in the background but I'm still here" so I take a half a day from work come in and surprized the teachers(the look on their faces were priceless) I said "I am here to observe and find out whats going on and the fact that I had to come down here doesnt make me happy" They explained he doesnt come from a good home and the teacher said "I told Brady to yell for me if he goes near him" So I say "I will be back I am going to talk to the principal" I went sat down calmy and said"My son is being bullied to the point where he doesnt want to go to school anymore..the kid yelling at him I know he can handle but when my son gets touched I am now unhappy and concerned" The principal said she would contact who she had to and it did not happen again
mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell her to stand up for herself. If she shows it doesn't bother her this girl will stop.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN