Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

The teacher did what? EDIT

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM
  • 41 Replies

My son is 6 years old and in the 1st grade. His class has a "snack time" a few hours before lunch. Well today my son came home with his snack untouched. So I asked him, "Why didnt you eat your snack at school?"

He told me that he got in trouble and wasn't allowed his snack or allowed to go out for recess. He had to stay in and do work instead. I asked him what he did to get him in trouble and he said he had a paper he had to work on that he didnt understand so he didnt finish it because he couldn't read it...

This isn't the first time he has told me something like this. A few weeks ago he told me that he was shown a picture of an animal he has never seen before and had to say what kinds of food it ate. He said it didnt know, that he didnt even know what the animal was... So he wasn't allowed to go out for recess....

I emailed his teacher asking her whats going on in a nice way, not to point fingers or anything, just trying to understand what is really happening... This is a new school for us, we just moved in August. I just have this gut feeling my kid is being singled out... : ( Maybe its me just being a mom....

What do you think of this?

********************************************************EDIT*****************************************************************

I finally got an email from the teacher before dropping the kids off at school. This is what she said:

Hi Mrs.*****,

I apologize that ******** did not have his snack today.  He wasn't "in trouble" but he did not complete something because he was not following directions.  I kept him and a few other children in at recess to complete it.  The other children finished and were able to go to recess and snack.  He did not complete it within the 15 minute recess time.

He did not have snack one day last week because Dr. Tracy had him miss recess for something that occurred when I was not at school.  I'm sure there have been other times that he has missed snack, but some of those are *******'s choice.  He has put/left his snack container in the basket and not eaten it.  Snack is optional, so I don't keep track of who has snack or who does not have it.

Typically, I don't inform parents when I keep a child in for recess to complete work, if it's once in a while.  If it is a frequently recurring event,  I would inform you. 

One thing I would like ******* to work on at home is his printing.  He is capable of printing correctly, but he rushes through his work.  I have been working with him at school and he can write neatly if he has to erase work that is not neat.

Please help ******* return his materials each day.  He should have the following items:

Monday - Friday -  Homework - completed neatly
                              Math facts envelope initialed daily
                              Reading envelope signed on Monday evening and returned daily

Thursday -             Poem and Chunk books signed and reviewed

Things to practice daily - Word cards, math facts cards, reading book, chunk book words, weekly poem.

I hope this clears up the snack issue.  If you have any more questions, I would be more than happy to meet with you after school. 

Thank you,

Mrs. **********

Sounds like everythings ok and it wasnt as bad as my son seemed to of made it out to be. He wasnt upset and I dont think he realizes how he made it sound. He was all "whatever" about it, but I wanted to make sure that the teacher wasnt using food as a punishment. : /  Sounds like shes not. I also talked to my son about what happens with his snack he doesnt eat during class because he never comes home with a snack, its always eatten (So I assumed he ate it during snack time lol), well he said that if he doesnt eat it in class he has it after school when hes waiting for me to pick him up...  0.o   opps... guess I should had figured that could be a reason... lol. oh well.
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Panditacjp
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I would be in to talk to the principle before he spent another day there. That teacher shouldn't be with kids, since she apparently has no clue how to teach. Horrid! Poor baby! 

Serabeth06
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be upset. Not knowing an answer or not understanding an assignment is not a reason to be punished. It's a reason to do your job and teach. ):

meam4444
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Woah...I don't know if I would have contacted the teacher or principal.  I could imagine if she was doing this to him, she must be doing the same for other students.  Please keep us posted.

PinkStarLily
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure if I have all the details. That maybe my son was thinking he was in trouble for one thing when really it wasn't for that at all. I'm waiting for her to email me back. I have this gut feeling that she is just to hard on the kids and my son, being only 6, doesn't understand what is ok and whats not. He has learned a lot in her class and he doesn't seemed upset about the punishment... He just acts like oh well this happened.

Quoting Panditacjp:

I would be in to talk to the principle before he spent another day there. That teacher shouldn't be with kids, since she apparently has no clue how to teach. Horrid! Poor baby! 

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM
I'd be upset. I Hope you get some answers from the teacher. That doesnt seem right or fair at all.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM
4 moms liked this

Before you go in with "guns a blazing" get the ACTUAL story from the teacher. Something tells me that there is A LOT more to the story.

PinkStarLily
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Yeah, I was thinking of call the principal, but I want to know her side of the story first. She has been so nice to me when I have talked to her, but I'm thinking maybe shes fake, like nice to the parents, but then when she has your kids alone shes just all mean to hard on them. I am worried about it happening to the other kids as well. When he told me he couldn't answer the question about the animal he said some other kids didnt know to and also weren't allowed to go out. But some of them knew....

I will update on everything after I hear back from her. She normally emails right after work and its only 3:26 here right now so I'm guessing I'll hear back soon.

Quoting meam4444:

Woah...I don't know if I would have contacted the teacher or principal.  I could imagine if she was doing this to him, she must be doing the same for other students.  Please keep us posted.

PinkStarLily
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol... Thats what I'm thinking. That's why I emailed her first to get her side of the story. I was very nice in the email. Didn't point fingers, very laid back, but still a concerned mom kind of thing.

Quoting mjande4:

Before you go in with "guns a blazing" get the ACTUAL story from the teacher. Something tells me that there is A LOT more to the story.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM
3 moms liked this

What was the teacher's response?

I can't even tell you how many times kids have gone home and repeated what I've said and it's nothing like what I really said. 

Not to mention how often kids repeat things their moms said and it's not accurate at all. 

Not that they're lying. Kids are developmentally very self centered. So their stories are often missing vital information.

Kids aren't normally the best at relaying information. You need to get more information from the teacher. 

PinkStarLily
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I know. : (

Hes new to the school and the state. So I dont know what to think. Maybe the whole state is like that, just hard on the kids... I'm still waiting to hear back from his teacher.

Quoting MistyMoo: I'd be upset. I Hope you get some answers from the teacher. That doesnt seem right or fair at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN