Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should I have to ask to be informed about visits to the nurse?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM
  • 215 Replies
2 moms liked this

Ds is in Kindergarten and has had (as far as I know) 3 or 4 visits to the nurse. The only time the teacher/nurse/school had told me was when he puked on the bus and needed to be picked up.  But since then he's had a couple of bloody noses.  I only found out about those visits through after school chats with ds, very casual.  I don't need to be called the minute he goes or an in depth report, but is a quick note letting me know he had to go for whatever reason seems normal.  Why isn't this info just passed along to me?  How does it work at your kids schools? 

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissa632
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:42 PM
5 moms liked this
I think it's a reasonable request.
meam4444
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never had a note.  My children usually tell me if they needed any medical attention at school or if something happened.  You could ask to be notified though--I don't find that request unreasonable.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

The only time I've gotten any sort of note home from the nurse was when ds hit his head.  Otherwise I only know because my kids tell me or I get a phone call to pick them up because they're sick.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I've gotten a call about my youngest when he fell off the monkey bars and was babying his arm.  She just wanted to let me know in case it was broke but she didn't think it was.  After I told her that he's a drama king and was probably just playing it out, she was relieved. 

family in the van   Mom of four

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:08 PM
4 moms liked this
No it's not normal to send a note about visits unless it's serious or they need to go home.
SnortysMom
by CatMarie on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

DS is 7 and had to only visit the nurse once. He took a bad fall and scraped up his knee and the palm of his hand. The nurse cleaned and bandaged him up and also gave me a quick call. 

She just wanted to let me know he was going to come home with a large band-aid on his hand and knee but that he was okay. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:28 PM
4 moms liked this

I have no desire to know every little thing that my child does during the school day, this includes visiting the nurse for a minor problem.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting steelcrazy:

I have no desire to know every little thing that my child does during the school day, this includes visiting the nurse for a minor problem.

This! I really don't want a note home for every bloody nose, scrape, or bruise. Good lord!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Quoting the3Rs: No it's not normal to send a note about visits unless it's serious or they need to go home.

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:36 PM
4 moms liked this
Our school has a policy that the health aide send home a short note if your child visits her. I would want to know about bloody noses, but it gets annoying when you find a note about a hang nail in their bag.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)