Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

If your child is in therapy, how often do they go?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM
  • 24 Replies

Hi,

so we have Kaiser & my son's therapy (for Generalized Anxiety) isn't all that great.  I don't know if it's the norm.  He's only allowed to have 2 appointments on the books at a time and I was told that weekly appointments aren't what's usually done.  It's every other week.  Personally I think that 45-60 minutes every other week or once a week isn't enough & certainly not what I imagined, but this might be how it is.  

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM
My oldest son has generalized anxiety, when he started therapy for it 6 years ago, he went to therapy three times a week, 60 minutes each session, for the first four months. He then went down to twice a week, then once a week, then once every other week,to once a month. It was a gradual drop down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
choco_mom
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:06 PM

WE started about 6 weeks ago and we go once a week for 1 hour.  For us its enough, we might even start going every other.  Its just for anxiety and some anger issues, problems in school with friends etc.  

I would give it a few weeks and see how it goes.  At first I thought it should be more but its worked out just right.

happynewyorker
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:13 PM

my daughter went to socialization group therapy and went once a week for an hour.  At the time she went she was 6, 7 & 8.  Only during school time.  when I was in the process of going through a divorce she went for about 45 minutes once a week for 3 months.  It depends on the age of your child.  If he's getting something out of the therapy.  Some places will evaluate and let you know how long and if it's helping.  Some times you have to go seaching for that right place to help.  Not all therapist are a perfect match.

kansasmomof5
by New Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:18 PM
4 times per week
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Every other week for the counselor and once a month for her psychiatrist.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:25 PM

He's had 4 visits, including the 1st one, since mid-January.  The visits for 2 of them was only about 30 minutes long, the last I want to say 45-50 minutes.  I think because his anxiety permeates almost everything that it might not be enough.  Granted there are a couple of other factors that contribute to his anxiety, especially concerning school, which makes me feel like he might need more.  

Quoting choco_mom:

WE started about 6 weeks ago and we go once a week for 1 hour.  For us its enough, we might even start going every other.  Its just for anxiety and some anger issues, problems in school with friends etc.  

I would give it a few weeks and see how it goes.  At first I thought it should be more but its worked out just right.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Thanks.  I know he likes her & doesn't do well with change, but I want it to work.  I know that it may not for him.  She seemed to get it, but I'm not sure she can get through to him.  He's not old enough for group.  I think she said it's for 8/9 & up.

Quoting happynewyorker:

my daughter went to socialization group therapy and went once a week for an hour.  At the time she went she was 6, 7 & 8.  Only during school time.  when I was in the process of going through a divorce she went for about 45 minutes once a week for 3 months.  It depends on the age of your child.  If he's getting something out of the therapy.  Some places will evaluate and let you know how long and if it's helping.  Some times you have to go seaching for that right place to help.  Not all therapist are a perfect match.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:13 PM

My son went once a week for an hour (autism spectrum- PDD-NOS, and generalized anxiety) when he was younger. He now goes once a month, but that is our choice as he doesn't have a great need for it (he's now 13.) BUT, we have the option to go back to once a week if something comes up-- or if the teen years get dicey as we get further in!

momof2ex1
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM
We don't pay through insurance because they wouldn't cover what is needed.

My daughter sees her therapist as needed. Currently it's once a week. Sometimes it's once a month. Depends on what's going on and if she is struggling with her anxiety or having issues with her dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alf2651
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Once a week.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN