Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Its one thing after another!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
  • 43 Replies

Okay, so, first its the on going testing, then I had it out with the school nurse for not informing me that my daughter failed a hearing test, now its field trips!! Here's what happened...

My daughter informed me today that she recently took a trip to the dentist.  I asked her if they came to her school, and she said no, they took a bus.  I never received or signed a permission slip! I had no idea until this evening, where it came up in a random conversation. 

Isn't it mandatory that permission slips be sent home if a child is going to be leaving school on a bus for a field trip?!

I don't think I am over reacting at all, what do you think?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sandiekd21
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you are over reacting at all! I would be beyond angry, too.

I would take it to the board.

Mishy2
by Michelle on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Yes I too thought it was mandatory for them to notify you in writing and get your approval for when kids will be travelling via bus somewhere for a field trip, etc. Our school always sends home permission slips. I would be upset too if I were in your shoes.

Quoting susan_marie:

Okay, so, first its the on going testing, then I had it out with the school nurse for not informing me that my daughter failed a hearing test, now its field trips!! Here's what happened...

My daughter informed me today that she recently took a trip to the dentist.  I asked her if they came to her school, and she said no, they took a bus.  I never received or signed a permission slip! I had no idea until this evening, where it came up in a random conversation. 

Isn't it mandatory that permission slips be sent home if a child is going to be leaving school on a bus for a field trip?!

I don't think I am over reacting at all, what do you think?

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun & friendly place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat.   

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Many schools (ours included) now have you sign a blanket form at the start of the year giving permission to take a child on field trips so they don't have to do a slip for each one.  That being said, notification of a trip should happen, unless it is stated on teh form that it may not.  Our school does a lot of trips and some are short notice, but we send an email when we go somewhere.  Are you sure it wasn't stated in an email or newsletter?

Melbornj
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM
This is the way our district does it, one permission slip for the whole year. You get it at the beginning of the year.

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

Many schools (ours included) now have you sign a blanket form at the start of the year giving permission to take a child on field trips so they don't have to do a slip for each one.  That being said, notification of a trip should happen, unless it is stated on teh form that it may not.  Our school does a lot of trips and some are short notice, but we send an email when we go somewhere.  Are you sure it wasn't stated in an email or newsletter?

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

I would be upset, mostly because it was for a dental visit.  Our school has a dental group come in every year for 2nd and 3rd graders, but parent can opt their child out of the visits--something I always do because we see our dentist twice a year (and this year's school visit was within one month of our regular visit).  But even if your school is one of the schools out there that does a blanket field trip permission form at the beginning of the year they should still give you notice.

susan_marie
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

The only field trips I gave concent to in the begin of the year were walking field trips. I have spoken to a few oth moms who had no idea as well. I'm thinking it going to get ugly. 

susan_marie
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Quoting huskermom98:

I would be upset, mostly because it was for a dental visit.  Our school has a dental group come in every year for 2nd and 3rd graders, but parent can opt their child out of the visits--something I always do because we see our dentist twice a year (and this year's school visit was within one month of our regular visit).  But even if your school is one of the schools out there that does a blanket field trip permission form at the beginning of the year they should still give you notice.

Oh, it wasn't a check up. It was a tour. But still, I was under the impression my child was in school, and she was not. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it REALLY hard to believe that an entire group got on a bus and left campus without transportation forms.

clairewait
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM
3 moms liked this

All of this is very strange to me.

I feel like the tendency now is to OVER inform parents of what is going on at school. (I get annoyed that I'm getting a newsletter in the folder of the same info from an email which is the same info I received in the beginning of year packet... blah.)

Either you have a really slacker school, I really slacker teacher, or possible a personal problem going on. I'm not saying it is your fault. But I think a lot of times the disconnection comes through the student....

Just some thoughts. I'm a former public school teacher and now the mom of elementary kids.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

susan_marie
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Quoting clairewait:

All of this is very strange to me.

I feel like the tendency now is to OVER inform parents of what is going on at school. (I get annoyed that I'm getting a newsletter in the folder of the same info from an email which is the same info I received in the beginning of year packet... blah.)

Either you have a really slacker school, I really slacker teacher, or possible a personal problem going on. I'm not saying it is your fault. But I think a lot of times the disconnection comes through the student....

Just some thoughts. I'm a former public school teacher and now the mom of elementary kids.

I agree... Very strange. That's why I contacted other parents to see if they knew of the field trip... None of them had. It being Friday, I can't contact anyone at the school till Monday. But, I made sure I did not overlook a form being sent home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)