Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

If your child has a summer birthday

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM
  • 41 Replies
How do you invite classmates if they are on summer break? I'm trying to figure out how to celebrate my sons birthday in July when school is out. He starts kindergarten in the fall and I'm thinking of doing half birthdays so that his classmates can be included. Any other ideas?
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ConcernedCousin
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I tried it last year when my son ws in prek( his birthday is mid June). only two kids came. This year, I am going to have his party the last week of school instead

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Invite his friends from school. One would hope that you'd have contact info for his friends well before the end of the year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtotwo08
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM
My ds is in kindergarten and has a July birthday also. Last year we sent invitations on the last day of school but none of his classmates came. This year I'll probably just send cupcakes near the end of the school year and then call his close friends parents to invite them to the party.
ardiaxe
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Quoting ConcernedCousin:

I tried it last year when my son ws in prek( his birthday is mid June). only two kids came. This year, I am going to have his party the last week of school instead

I heard that no kids attend summer birthday parties :( or at least very few. That's why I'm trying to come up with a day that will always have a larger show of classmates. An end of the year party is a great idea!
ardiaxe
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Quoting momtotwo08: My ds is in kindergarten and has a July birthday also. Last year we sent invitations on the last day of school but none of his classmates came. This year I'll probably just send cupcakes near the end of the school year and then call his close friends parents to invite them to the party.

I've heard that summer birthdays consist of no shows. Getting the students contact info is something I need to do, I love the cupcake idea too.
Beautifulmom513
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM

both my kids were born in november. but if it were me and my kids were born in summer instead, I would just have a bday party for them at the end of the school year, like in may/june. or have it the at beginning of school year in september. at least for their school friends.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM

My kids just invited their close friends.

family in the van   Mom of four

ardiaxe
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Quoting Beautifulmom513:

both my kids were born in november. but if it were me and my kids were born in summer instead, I would just have a bday party for them at the end of the school year, like in may/june. or have it the at beginning of school year in september. at least for their school friends.

Hmm he's closer to having his birthday at the beginning of the year compared to the end, so the beginning might be good for him. It may also give him the opportunity to meet new classmates. Thank you!
dmom27
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

We attended lots of parties for his classmates throughout the year, so I got to know a lot of the parents and swapped info.  Mostly Facebook and cell #'s.  Also, I got some #'s when we went on field trips, since many parents came along as chaperones.

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Quoting ardiaxe:
Quoting Beautifulmom513:

Hmm he's closer to having his birthday at the beginning of the year compared to the end, so the beginning might be good for him. It may also give him the opportunity to meet new classmates. Thank you!

no problem. I would say have it during the summer but send out invites on last day of school, or try and get contact info so you can invite closer to that time. but people tend to be somewhat busy over the summer. traveling and that. they just on a totally different schedule. plus it might be hard to track people down to invite them. and then if they do get the invite, they might forget about it. I don't know. I think its just easier to have it during the school year but at the end or at the beginning. plus it gives the kids an excuse to have 2 bday parties!! something I sure every kid would love.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)