Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should I say something?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Max
  • 25 Replies

Around Christmas break I got a friend request from a name I didn't even recognize. When I looked at the page I recognized the kids and realized it's the mother of students who go to my school. I don't recall ever really taking to her. But I'm sure I've said hi in the halls and I've seen her at PTO meetings. 

I declined the request as I always do when I get them from student's parents. 

A week or so later I got another request from her. Figuring she probably forgot about the first one I declined the second as well. Then about a month later I got a third request. Guess how I handled that one?

At this point I had still never spoken to this woman other than to say hi.  But Friday night we had an activity at school and I did end up chatting with her. It was a nice talk. She's a lovely person. 

Guess what I found when I got home?  A fourth friend request. 

I've gotten tons of requests from parents at school. I've even heard though the grapevine that some have an issue with the teachers who decline. I don't care. I don't want my personal life being invaded by school and vice versa. 

I've never had a parent keep requesting this way. I've never felt the need to explain the decline. They can see I am not friends with the other parents so there's nothing to take personally. 

Do you think I should send her a message or explain if I see her at school or should I just keep declining?

by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I would send her a nice little message explaining that you don't do that.
linmei
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I would decline then block her. She will not be able to fund you again after that you disappear
chariot71226
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:22 PM

You're a teacher at the school?  Send her a message about it and explain it. Next year maybe a note sent home with all kids that you don't do that.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Quoting chariot71226:

You're a teacher at the school?  Send her a message about it and explain it. Next year maybe a note sent home with all kids that you don't do that.

Actually I rarely get requests from current student's parents. They seem to know that's inappropriate. But the parents of younger students are the ones who send the requests. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Unfortunately, you are going to have to say something to her since she doesn't seem to be taking the hint.  I've had to do that and it is was very uncomfortable afterwards.

meam4444
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM

If it were me, I probably would take off the option of "friend" requests on facebook if you feel awkward in telling her.  And, I would tell her your reasoning on not accepting her requests if she ever asks.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 9:06 PM
I have a similar issue but with my Boy Scouts. Several have sent me friend requests, mostly so I can boost them for games but I explained that I don't friend anyone under 18. No matter how close our families are, I don't want to seee their kid drama and I relax and vent and sometimes curse on FB and I dont want to feel like I have to watch my step ALL the time.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Next time that she sends a request answer no the do you know this person question and she won't be able to send another one to you. 

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I have been put in awkward situations like that too.  What makes it harder is that DD goes to the school I teach at, so I am friends with her classmates parents, some of whom have kids who will have me soon.  I am very choosy and only friend people who I am actually friends with.  I have had to nicely message several people who have friended me. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:19 PM
I would send a message.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN