Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School activities for Dr Suess's birthday

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM
  • 28 Replies

Is your school doing anything for Dr Suess's birthday?  Anything to celebrate reading?

DS's school is having the kids dress up as a storybook character & bring in a book to share (doesn't have to relate to who they dress up as) on Tuesday.  They are also serving green eggs & ham for lunch (the kids don't know that, they think they are having scrambled eggs & ham).

At first, DS said he wants to dress as Lowly Worm (from the Richard Scarry books).  Then he said Winnie the Pooh.  I'm trying to talk him into wearing his George Washington costume that he wore for Halloween (his teacher said that would be fine).  I have no idea how I'd do a Winnie the Pooh costume.  I could figure out Lowly Worm, but that requires a trip to WalMart.

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Our school had their celebration last Friday since Dr Seuss's birthday was over the weekend.  They had inside out/backwards dress day.  Dr Seuss books were hidden around the school and the classroom that documented the location of the most books won and ice cream party.  Some of the older children read stories to the younger children.  We also had an assembly where a local author came in.  They served green eggs and ham for breakfast on Friday.

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM

They are making hats, and classes are either doing a play on one of his books and other children will be reciting a bunch of his quotes. I love this time of the year.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM
My DDs isn't. My school is.
meam4444
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I bet they are....I just don't know what they are doing.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Other than the librarian reading Dr. Seuss stories, I don't think mine are doing anything.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:00 AM

My son's class is doing something w older kids w their book. Not sure what, I'll have to ask him tomorrow.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Our school had their celebration last Friday since Dr Seuss's birthday was over the weekend.  They had inside out/backwards dress day.  Dr Seuss books were hidden around the school and the classroom that documented the location of the most books won and ice cream party.  Some of the older children read stories to the younger children.  We also had an assembly where a local author came in.  They served green eggs and ham for breakfast on Friday.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:05 AM

They have tons of stuff going on .  Thursday night is Seuss night where they do tons of crafts and eat cake.  Each day is a different spirit day .  1st graders get a green eggs and ham breakfast sponsored by Beaches and a free seuss hat.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:43 AM

We have a week long celebration. Starts with a "book swap"  where kids bring in books from home and swap with other kids, and various classroom activities by grade each day. Then Friday is "character day" where they dress up as a Character from any book they love. Then Friday night we have a big birthday party for Dr Suess. We have a "book walk" in stead of a cake walk, lots of crafts and activites like a photo booth and making cat in the hat hats, then we have birthday cake. It's such a fun night and my kids and I are SO excited to go this year.

steph21078
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Our school celebrated last week because this week is our State testing week.  On Monday it was crazy sock day, Tuesday  Crazy Hat day, Wednesday Wacky clothes day, Thursday was positive day(had to wear clothes with positive words and Friday was Pajama day

steph21078
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Our school celebrated last week because this week is our State testing week.  On Monday it was crazy sock day, Tuesday  Crazy Hat day, Wednesday Wacky clothes day, Thursday was positive day(had to wear clothes with positive words and Friday was Pajama day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN