Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

We moved and now she hates school...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM
  • 21 Replies
My daughter is 5 and in kindergarten. We were living in Texas and she loved school. We had to move to Colorado, and she started a new school. She is having a very hard time adjusting. She misses her friends and she misses her teacher and she hasn't been able to make those same bonds. She comes home every day and seems fine until we ask about her day, then she nearly cries Amd tells us that the other kids won't play with her.

I've been to see the teacher about this and she was happy to help, but she has 20 students and no aides. I'm going to volunteer in her classroom to help out, but she can only do so much. It sounds like my daughter is being a little bit over sensitive and shy, its no one's fault but I want her to be happy Amd secure Amd enjoy school again.

What can I do to help out?
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AtiFreeFalls
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Ugh, please forgive typos, I don't know why my phone auto corrects to Amd instead of and when I hit the m on accident :-(
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Invitea class mate over to play. Arrange a play date. Do extracurricular activities like gymnastics, soccer, swimming. Role play with her on how to approach and make new friends and then practice at the park.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Sounds like normal change of school stress.

How long has it been since you moved? Honestly, I think I would stay out of the classroom and let her work things out on her own for a while longer.

If you want to find friends for her, try extracurricular activities such as sports, Girl Scouts, dance, Cheer, church, etc.
Dodie702
by Doriane on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM
I would give her some time to adjust. She is in a new area with new people.That would take me time to adjust.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I agree with the suggestion to wait a bit to volunteer. Let her work it out. Maybe do some role play with her on how to make new friends, ask people to play, etc.

AtiFreeFalls
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

We moved the 15th of February, she started school the 19th, so it has only been a few days, really, of school for her.  I know this is a normal adjustment... I had to make it myself when I moved from Idaho to Colorado when I was in kindergarten myself.  I'm trying to remember how hard it was for me, and validate her feelings without letting her wallow in them, you know?

It will probably be another week before I can volunteer in the classroom, and honestly I am not doing it for my daughter alone, her teacher has all these kids by herself every day and she told me that this year her students' parents are not volunteering like they normally do.  So she has no help at all in the classroom and I don't know how she has maintained her sanity lol.

We are looking into activities for her.  We kind of need to wait and see what our financial situation is going to be first, though.  We are staying with my mother right now while we wait for our tenants to move out of our house, and then we have to clean it up and repair any damage.  We have already had to pay out more than a thousand dollars to take care of a dead tree that damaged some neighbors' property.  Anyway, the moral of this story is that she will be going in to dance classes and maybe music lessons and/or karate, but first we have to see how much repairing our home is going to cost.  Girl Scouts is perfect, though, I'll find our troop here :)

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Sounds like normal change of school stress. How long has it been since you moved? Honestly, I think I would stay out of the classroom and let her work things out on her own for a while longer. If you want to find friends for her, try extracurricular activities such as sports, Girl Scouts, dance, Cheer, church, etc.

AtiFreeFalls
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Do you think me volunteering will get in the way of her problem solving skills?

Like I said above, my intention with volunteering isn't to police how she is adjusting, it is to help out this poor teacher.  I can't believe she has no aides in her classroom.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

I agree with the suggestion to wait a bit to volunteer. Let her work it out. Maybe do some role play with her on how to make new friends, ask people to play, etc.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Yep, give her a few more weeks before you go in. 

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Do you think me volunteering will get in the way of her problem solving skills?Like I said above, my intention with volunteering isn't to police how she is adjusting, it is to help out this poor teacher.  I can't believe she has no aides in her classroom.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I agree with the others.  Stay out of the classroom for a while and get her into some outside activities.  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Sounds like you are being very supportive at home. As long as you continue, and maybe talk with the teacher about helping her mix in a bit, it should go well. We are only half way through the year. There is plenty of time for her to get settled.

Yes, I repeat...I would wait a week or two before going in and disrupting her class. You being there will be a distraction even if you are very impartial and professional.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN