Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you read their books first?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM
  • 156 Replies

Do you read chapter books before you let your kids read them in case they have parts that aren't appropriate?  My son reads 2 grade levels ahead, but in 2nd grade he isn't ready for some of the more mature themes in 4th grade reading, but I don't always feel like reading his books ahead of time so sometimes he might read things that I don't really like. 

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
No I don't.
MelanieMans
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM
7 moms liked this
My son is 2 but when he starts reading I won't. I think limiting what your kid can read is stupid.
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Not usually. Sometimes I did when he was a tween, but not in the younger elementary years.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM

No I don't.  I've never had a need/reason to until this year, but it was very hard for me to not do that with some of the books on the Battle of the Books list.  My oldest is in 3rd grade and a lot of the books are geared for the older kids in the competition (3rd-5th graders).  I read quick synopsises about each of the books and tried to steer him to ones I thought he'd like.  Luckily I know our librarian well enough that I don't think she would let him read something that would be inappropriate (or would at least steer him in another direction...)  I did read one of the books on the list because it sounded interesting--and it was one of the best books I've read in awhile..."Wonder".

KyliesMom5
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

No, I have never preread books, even when they were younger.  Both of my boys are several grade levels ahead in reading comprehension, but we haven't had any issues with inappropriate subject matter.

urbpro
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM
8 moms liked this

I often read the books that my kids are reading but not because I am worried about content. I do it so we can discuss what they are reading. I really love to read so it's nothing for me to read one of their chapter books and it gives us something that we share that is more personal than talking about movies. 

GinevraWeasley
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this

When he was in Kindergarten he was reading a stink moody book and the kid brings home the class hamster, it got out and ended up in the garbage disposal and was ground up.  I'm not sure what grade level it was for, but thankfully he was reading it out loud to us and we were able to talk about it afterwards and about animal cruelty.  But I don't think it's stupid to make sure that the themes in his books are age appropriate.  For example, one of the kids in his class (he's in gifted and talented) is reading the hunger games.  And that's absolutely not appropriate for a 2nd grader.  I have nothing against the series, it's one of my favorites, but it's not written for kids that young even if they can read it. 

GinevraWeasley
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I'll have to check that one out!

Quoting huskermom98:

No I don't.  I've never had a need/reason to until this year, but it was very hard for me to not do that with some of the books on the Battle of the Books list.  My oldest is in 3rd grade and a lot of the books are geared for the older kids in the competition (3rd-5th graders).  I read quick synopsises about each of the books and tried to steer him to ones I thought he'd like.  Luckily I know our librarian well enough that I don't think she would let him read something that would be inappropriate (or would at least steer him in another direction...)  I did read one of the books on the list because it sounded interesting--and it was one of the best books I've read in awhile..."Wonder".

GinevraWeasley
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM

That's awesome, I love to read too and I really like that idea! 

Quoting urbpro:

I often read the books that my kids are reading but not because I am worried about content. I do it so we can discuss what they are reading. I really love to read so it's nothing for me to read one of their chapter books and it gives us something that we share that is more personal than talking about movies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)