Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Sports vs. Family

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM
  • 24 Replies

Hi Everyone!

Little back info, my daughter is 8 and has been playing softball since she was 4. She started with t-ball and she is now in machine pitch. She loves the sport and if given the choice she would pick anything softball related over EVERYTHING!! She plays spring (April-June) and fall (Mid August-October) season, she also made the AllStars team ( July- Mid August) for the spring season. Starting this fall season she will move up to player pitch.

So now on to my problem....How much softball is to much?

When she was selected for Allstars last year she chose to play instead of attend a family reunion out of state. We will have the same conflict of schedules this year if she is selected. Also, she has the chance to attend a pitching clinic with a great instructor, but the clinic is during Easter weekend which is normally spent with family. 

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM

That is a tough one. I understand that sports are very important, but so our family events. I am not sure what I would do

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Personally, I would put family time ahead of sports. Of course, my kids don't play sports, but they have had to pass on Scout events for family obilgations. Both ds2 and dd had to miss Scout camp last summer b/c of a family wedding out of state.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:48 PM
3 moms liked this

You are the parent, in the end you should decide what she does- family or sports. It shouldn't be up to her. She can give her input but she's 8. She cannot make a fully educated decision at that age.

At 8, she should be playing for fun but if it interrupts big family things, it should be family first, not sports. 

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM
She is only 8. Playing only one sport is not good for her. Balancing sports and family is tricky, but I am sure even her coach would agree that family time is important.

Side note: our league started girl pitch at U8. I love the idea of machine pitch. Girl pitch is the slowest, most excruciating game to watch.
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Honestly, I don't think she should specialize in one sport this young. According to articles from our state hockey govering body, they say you should at least take a break from 3 months a year from your main sport. They should be playing multiple sports instead of just one. 

I also have a kid that loves a sport, and he would do it year round if we let him. We make decisions like that family come first, and we cut back on some of the activities for his overall well-being.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Yep, with travel teams and such, kids are playing WAY more sports year round and sports medicine doctors are treating kids in high school for injuries that pro athletes weren't dealing with until years into their professional careers because kids are playing their sports way too much and messing up their bodies much younger.

Quoting Barabell:

Honestly, I don't think she should specialize in one sport this young. According to articles from our state hockey govering body, they say you should at least take a break from 3 months a year from your main sport. They should be playing multiple sports instead of just one. 

I also have a kid that loves a sport, and he would do it year round if we let him. We make decisions like that family come first, and we cut back on some of the activities for his overall well-being.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

You are the parent, in the end you should decide what she does- family or sports. It shouldn't be up to her. She can give her input but she's 8. She cannot make a fully educated decision at that age.

At 8, she should be playing for fun but if it interrupts big family things, it should be family first, not sports. 

I agree with you too.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
You know her best. My daughter is heavily into cheer which requires tumbling and gymnastics she also plays soccer. She loves sports and that's her thing. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM

The articles point out injuries, but they also point out how different sports work you body differently. So doing a completely different sport helps improve the overall strength and health of your body, in addition to lowering the risk to repetitive injuries.

Another point the article makes that the kids to specialize too soon will peak too early. You don't want your kid to peak when they're 12. They should peak around the end of high school and at the start of college.

My son would play hockey year round if we let him, but I don't. He plays on a regular season team, which is almost half the year. Then he's on an off-season team, which is another 3 months. I won't let him do any other clinics or training in those 3 months he has off, even if he begs me to sign him up.

I also make sure he plays at least one different type of sport too, since he wants to be active year round. Fortunately, he likes several other sports. So it's still usually me saying no to a certain activity. I've had to tell him 3 times already that I won't sign him up for both lacrosse and soccer this summer. He could only choose one of the two.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Yep, with travel teams and such, kids are playing WAY more sports year round and sports medicine doctors are treating kids in high school for injuries that pro athletes weren't dealing with until years into their professional careers because kids are playing their sports way too much and messing up their bodies much younger.

Quoting Barabell:

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Our extended family is really good at doing family get-togethers on our off seasons. Sports are very important in our family and extended family. We all actually will send a list of our games and practices to my one sil and she makes up a calender that she hands out to everyone. Not only does it help us figure out when we do family get-togethers, it also makes it so everyone can show up to each others games.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)