Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Have you seen your child's math homework lately?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM
  • 116 Replies
2 moms liked this

Photo: Common Core math: The equation at the bottom is a method of math problem-solving proposed by the Common Core program.

I have a question..

What is up with the new common core math?  I get it is counting back.. but what is the point of this?

My little guy is in first grade, and I home school.  I am following a common core curriculum and in first grade math 8+3=11 isn't that simple.  It is 8 equals 5+3 , 5+3+3 equals 5+5+1 which equals.. We did the common core way for 30 seconds before going back to to 8+3=11..

Can anyone explain the point of teaching the new math..

Its like going around the block to get to  your next door neighbors house. lol.

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsunshine77
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this

This is why my kids are not going to public school.  The private school she is going to does not and will not use it.  They get no funding from the govt, so they don't have to.  If I home schooled I would not do common core at all either. 

I don't understand why they do it that way, and I think common core is kinda silly. 

supermonstermom
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momofsunshine77:

This is why my kids are not going to public school.  The private school she is going to does not and will not use it.  They get no funding from the govt, so they don't have to.  If I home schooled I would not do common core at all either. 

I don't understand why they do it that way, and I think common core is kinda silly. 

My first and last year doing common core.  We skipped the common core lessons anyway!!

I just don't get the point.

katiebug840204
by Katie on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
It's funny you would post this because just yesterday I was trying to help my 4th grader with her homework but i couldn't. I posted about it on FB and a friend that doesn't have kids in school yet was very surprised to learn there is a new way. So I just showed her your example.

It's crazy to change something that has been working perfectly fine for years.
A_McCool
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM

That's how I've always done math.  I didn't realize it was anything new.  Of course, I wouldn't now do it with 8+3=11; however, I do often break numbers down and use things I already know to solve problems bigger/unfamiliar  problems.  I thought everyone did math that way until I saw all of the common core complaints.

I would assume that the point of breaking down the easier problems is to get the kids used to the process so they can understand the concept and can apply it to more difficult problems.

ambcortez
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM

wtf. that is completely confusing. Why make it so difficult when it could be so simple??

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM
7 moms liked this

#1) This isn't Common Core math. Common Core does not dictate how to teach math. It doesn't require teachers to teach any specific strategies including this one. 

#2) This is mental math written out. The steps are meant to be done in one's head. Written out it seems like a lot of work. But this how people with strong math skills solve problems mentally. It's simply counting up to 32 in segments that are easy to compute mentally. 

#3) This strategy isn't even well suited for this problem. But for other problems it's exactly how anyone who understands math would solve it. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting A_McCool:

That's how I've always done math.  I didn't realize it was anything new.  Of course, I wouldn't now do it with 8+3=11; however, I do often break numbers down and use things I already know to solve problems bigger/unfamiliar  problems.  I thought everyone did math that way until I saw all of the common core complaints.

I would assume that the point of breaking down the easier problems is to get the kids used to the process so they can understand the concept and can apply it to more difficult problems.

This is what people who are good at math have always figured out on their own. Now that we're trying to teach all kids to think mathematically it's terrifying and confusing to the people who don't already think that way. 

For people who have strong math skills it's common sense. But to many it's confusing. Unfortunately most Americans don't have the math skills to see the logic in this. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting katiebug840204: It's funny you would post this because just yesterday I was trying to help my 4th grader with her homework but i couldn't. I posted about it on FB and a friend that doesn't have kids in school yet was very surprised to learn there is a new way. So I just showed her your example. It's crazy to change something that has been working perfectly fine for years.

But it hasn't been working fine. America has been ranked very low among industrialized nations in math for generations. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
This is Everyday Math, not CC. Why does CC get blamed for everything?

When DS had it, I hated it and then a mom in this forum pointed oujt that it gives kids a new way to think and look at things. Once I opened my mind to that, I was OK with it. I think we need to teach our kids to look at problem solving from different angles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I see my child's math every night.  They are NOT doing anything like that and I don't understand where they came up with most of the numbers that they are using.

We don't use the Everyday Math curriculum, so I don't have to worry about this at all.  Our math curriculum is called Saxon Math and I absolutely love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN