Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

At what age is the I'm bored stage?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 4:52 PM
  • 13 Replies
I said it all the time when I was a kid. Sometimes dd says she doesn't have anything to do, but in general she's okay. I wonder if it's because we let her watch tv too much, and she doesn't have to learn to entertain herself when nobody else Is available. Could it actually be good for a child to become bored.
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

my children rarely say they are bored. they are either outside playing, at an extracurricular, coloring/drawing or plying with toys.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Precious333
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM
My kids say it, and I tell them that there are plenty of things to do, there is always something. I try and give plenty of free time.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I don't recall being bored as a child and my children have yet to reach the "bored stage", not even sure what that is.  I would suggest turning off the tv and encouraging her to play.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:12 PM

On Thursday my son said it. But we were at the hair salon. He had gotten his hair cut and was waiting for me to finish getting mine cut. So it was understandable. Lol

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I remember frequently complaining of boredom as a child. I always wanted someone to play with. 

My kids rarely complain, but they have each other. I think being bored is a good thing every now and then. Kids today seem so bombarded with media and gadgets. There's nothing wrong with some peace and quiet. 

MommyTo2G3B
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:54 PM
This
Quoting mommy053008:

my children rarely say they are bored. they are either outside playing, at an extracurricular, coloring/drawing or plying with toys.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, I have heard the "I'm bored" out of my kids maybe 1 or 2 times each, and then they get handed a chore to do. Usually it is a chore they absolutely hate. That cured them quickly of telling me they were bored.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Mine will complain about being bored sometimes. I remind them of all the stuff they have to do/play w/ and send them off to fend for themselves.

I think being bored on occasion is good for them- forces them to do some problem-solving.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM

My boys haven't said they are bored yet (that I can remember, anyway).  They are 7 & 5.

I remember my siblings (and maybe me) saying that when we were growing up - despite there being 8 of us.  I think mostly if we just weren't being creative in figuring out what to do or wanted something new to do.  My mom always offered to find us something to do - we learned very quickly to find something ourselves because her something would be a chore.

littlepinkrose
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

My nephew only says it when we are out doing something.  Like when we have an errand to run and he is with me and my husband so he has to come along.  Other than that he does not get bored he is 7.  He likes to play with his wrestlers and with cars and he loves to write also.

He can spend hours making up wrestling matches and royal rumbles LOL!!  You may need to get her off of the t.v. and have her start doing her own thing so that she will learn what she likes and can amuse herself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN