Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Reading...

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:45 AM
  • 16 Replies
My kindergartener is learning to read. He knows some words and he does read with others, but he won't with me. He won't sound the words out or even try reading with me. He just guesses the words and pretends. Any ideas on how to get him to practice reading with me?
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 4:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Look on pintrest for reading games. Make it fun!
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 4:14 AM

Just let him read to stuffed animals or a pet if he seems shy to do it with you.  Have you tried taking turns?  You read one sentence, he reads the next, so forth?

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM

My preschooler is doing the exact same thing.  She's been sounding out words since she was 3 1/2.  She's over 4 1/2 now and I've never seen her do it.  Her teacher says she has very little trouble with basic c-v-c words but to watch her at home you would think she has zero phonic knowledge.  She doesn't say "no, I don't want to" or anything like that.  She just, very convincingly, acts as if she has no clue.  It's frustrating but I'm trying to just leave it alone.  Her teacher is happy with her progress and I don't want to make it a negative experience so I let her do her thing at school and trust that someday I'll see her read!

As far as his school assessments, is his teacher happy with his progress?

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM
I wouldn't force it I would allow him to maybe try reading in his room
susan_marie
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM

At home I love creating games. This is one i set up for number words. My dd does a math problem and then throws a ball and tries to hit the corresponding word number. We also do word hunts, where I hide words all over the house, and she finds them and writes them down. She also loves searching through her books looking for words she knows. I call her my word detective. It's a lot more fun than just sitting still. Kids need movement. 

schatzi869
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM
I haven't tried switching off with him, but...he just wants me to read it for him so he doesn't have to. If you ask him what a word is, he'll say "hmm, let me think what this word is..." and he'll just act like he genuinely has no clue.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Just let him read to stuffed animals or a pet if he seems shy to do it with you.  Have you tried taking turns?  You read one sentence, he reads the next, so forth?

AmyG1976
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM

take turns don't push him may just not want to read it wrong in front of you so gives up sorta little kids can do that and it don't mean anything about you ect :). Reading games online for practice that make it fun websites like starfall.com are free.

schatzi869
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Yes. She wrote in his progress note that he knows many of his sight words and has been doing well. He is supposed to read about three or four books a week at home, and each book is to be read three times. He did read with me earlier in the school year, but he won't anymore. He does read with my dad (he watches him after school twice a week while I work), and with his dad and my cousin, but just not with me.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My preschooler is doing the exact same thing.  She's been sounding out words since she was 3 1/2.  She's over 4 1/2 now and I've never seen her do it.  Her teacher says she has very little trouble with basic c-v-c words but to watch her at home you would think she has zero phonic knowledge.  She doesn't say "no, I don't want to" or anything like that.  She just, very convincingly, acts as if she has no clue.  It's frustrating but I'm trying to just leave it alone.  Her teacher is happy with her progress and I don't want to make it a negative experience so I let her do her thing at school and trust that someday I'll see her read!

As far as his school assessments, is his teacher happy with his progress?

schatzi869
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM
thank you. I've been thinking about subscribing to that abcmouse.com program too.

Quoting AmyG1976:

take turns don't push him may just not want to read it wrong in front of you so gives up sorta little kids can do that and it don't mean anything about you ect :). Reading games online for practice that make it fun websites like starfall.com are free.

schatzi869
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM
He might like that. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Quoting susan_marie:

At home I love creating games. This is one i set up for number words. My dd does a math problem and then throws a ball and tries to hit the corresponding word number. We also do word hunts, where I hide words all over the house, and she finds them and writes them down. She also loves searching through her books looking for words she knows. I call her my word detective. It's a lot more fun than just sitting still. Kids need movement. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN