Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What chores are your child, 8- 9 years,responsible for?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have 2 boys;  one in 3rd and one in 2nd grade. I am trying to ascertain which chores are appropriate. Example : loading dishwasher, hanging up clothes, etc.Thanks for your input.

Dawn
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happynewyorker
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM

http://thehappyhousewife.com/home-management/files/2012/07/age-appropriate-chores-for-kids-1.pdf

Mine takes care of the bathroom, since she makes the messes in the bathroom.  Gloves to clean up and wash the sink. 

she's also unloads the dishwasher.  Cleaning up after herself. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, mine have been responsible for cleaning up after themselves since they were toddlers.  So I would definately start there.  My boys dust, vacuum, etc their bedrooms and the family room.  They clean their bathroom, including the toilet.  They can load/unload the dishwasher, they take out the garbage, shovel snow, rake leaves, mow the lawn, use washer/dryer, basic cooking . . .

Really, kids can do anything so long as you teach them how and IMO, the sooner the better.  The older that they get the more that they will fight you on learning because "I never had to do that before" or "Why are you making me do this all of a sudden?".  Younger kids find helping mommy to be fun, which is why I started when my boys were toddlers and wanted to be my little helpers.  Now it is completely normal for them to help out with anything and everything around the house.

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I have 2 kids, 8.5 and 11.

Their chores are:

Scoop cat boxes, sweep area around boxes when done.

Bring dirty clothes to laundry room. Put away clean clothes.

Empty bathroom trash cans and replace bags.

Put away clean silverware from the dishwasher.

Wipe down their bathroom counter, and keep area tidy.

Keep room clean, put away things when you're done with them.

Feed the cats. (everyone does this so it's more who sees they need food first).

Take recycling/ trash out. Bring cans up from the curb after trash/recycling is picked up.

I also have them vacuum the stairs because I HATE VACUUMING THE STAIRS!!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Ds2 is 10 and dd is 8. They put away laundry, set the table, and clean up their rooms; those are their only regular chores, although they are expected to help w/ other things when asked.

Other things they have done are: empty dishwasher, vacuum, dust, sweep the kitchen floor, clean bathroom sinks, ds2 has used the weed whacker w/ supervision. While I haven't asked them to do it yet, I know they are capable of at least using a Wet Swiffer, if not actually mop.

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM

She is responsible for keeping her bedroom presentable, help keep the playroom clean, setting the table, clearing off her dinner plate and putting it into the dishwasher. Sometimes I might get her to help clean the backyard. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM

My son, 8, cleans his room, puts away his clean clothes, puts dirties in the dirty clothes hamper, helps load and unload the dishwasher, cleans the sink in the bathroom. He helps with trash and putting up groceries.

I will probably teach him to wash clothes next weekend when he's home. I will also teach him how to scrub the toilet. 

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM
My 7.5yo
Puts away most laundry, not the stuff that needs hung up.
Puts dirty laundry in hamper
Takes out bathroom trash
Cleans bathroom sink and mirror, and floor
Vacuums living room kitchen bedroom
Washes windows, doors, walls, cabinets.
Scrapes and rises plates after dinner

Him and my 5.5 yo split chores. They have a few a day. And Sunday bigger owner. Today was bathroom and cleaning the doors and windows.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the list that we go by. Plus we have added chores of feeding our farm animals.

jaytee
by Jen on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM
They don't have specific chores. They just do what I ask them to do. This includes:

Unloading the dishwasher
Putting clothes away
Feeding the dog
Cleaning their rooms
Taking out the trash
Setting the table
Helping prepare/cook meals

My children are 12, 10 and 5
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM
I could not imagine asking my 8yo to change a light bulb!!!

Eek! Even I'm too scared to do.that!maybe if we had lamps and not just ceiling lights.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

This is the list that we go by. Plus we have added chores of feeding our farm animals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN