Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Haters of Common Core

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM
  • 253 Replies
I would like to know which STANDARD(S) within the CC that you hate and why.

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Come on y'all. There are tons of you running around proclaiming your hatred. Surely you have specific examples of why you hate it.
bellawomen
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Honestly I wish I knew more. I am bumping to read responses.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:42 PM
4 moms liked this

This should be interesting. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM
3 moms liked this

It wasn't one specific thing so much as the standards are lower than what our district's already are. Would you want your kids' school to go backwards in terms of student expectations?

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I did some reading on the Common Core website this morning, reading the standards for my kids current grades (2nd & 5th). It all seems reasonable to me. My kids meet or exceed all of the standards for their current grades.

Maybe that's why I don't hate it?

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Ok. I can accept that one for sure. And that is a real concern for some areas. But that's not typical at all given the comments others have made. :-)

Quoting wakymom:

It wasn't one specific thing so much as the standards are lower than what our district's already are. Would you want your kids' school to go backwards in terms of student expectations?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

That was my big fear as well.  I've been assured by my school that they are going to continue to teach math at the level that they are currently teaching since it exceeds the standards set by Common Core.

Quoting wakymom:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:03 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I did some reading on the Common Core website this morning, reading the standards for my kids current grades (2nd & 5th). It all seems reasonable to me. My kids meet or exceed all of the standards for their current grades.

That could be why. When you get accurate information rather than propaganda it's not so bad. 

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

That could be why. When you get accurate information rather than propaganda it's not so bad. 

Everything on that site seems extremely reasonable. 

This is from the 5th Grade Reading category:

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poetry, at the high end of the grades 4–5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.

This doesn't seem crazy or like they're turning kids into zombies or whatever the hell people who are against Common Core say. It's a goal/guideline, by the end of the year a child needs to be able to do x,y,&z.  It seems like that would be a good thing to me. Instead of going "yeah I guess he's fine to go to the next grade, he can spell his name, and eats his lunch without wearing it most of the time"

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Everything on that site seems extremely reasonable. 

This is from the 5th Grade Reading category:

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poetry, at the high end of the grades 4–5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.

This doesn't seem crazy or like they're turning kids into zombies or whatever the hell people who are against Common Core say. It's a goal/guideline, by the end of the year a child needs to be able to do x,y,&z.  It seems like that would be a good thing to me. Instead of going "yeah I guess he's fine to go to the next grade, he can spell his name, and eats his lunch without wearing it most of the time"

It's totally reasonable. 

The difference between the Core Standards and the old state standards isn't even all that dramatic. Most of the people who are up in arms about CC didn't know the old standards either. The complaints they have were true about the old ones too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)