Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Can (could) your child . . .

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM
  • 71 Replies

At the end of kindergarten was your child able to do the following?

• Know number names and the count sequence.
  • Count to tell the number of objects.
  • Compare numbers.
  • Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and understand subtraction as taking apart and taking from.
  • Work with numbers 11-19 to gain foundations for place value.
  • Describe and compare measurable attributes.
  • Classify objects and count the number of objects in each category.
  • Identify and describe shapes.
  • Analyze, compare, create, and compose shapes.
  • How about these?

1.  Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
    2.  Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
    3.  Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
    4.  Model with mathematics.
    5.  Use appropriate tools strategically.
    6.  Attend to precision.
    7.  Look for and make use of structure.
    8.  Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    maxswolfsuit
    by Max on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM

The set of standards he could more or less do before starting Kindergarten.

The mathematical practices is where it gets more tricky. Those practices are really where the increased rigour comes in. He's learning to do those things in school. 

Pnukey
    by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    1 mom liked this

Yes.

However, it's only fair to point out that I am a teacher and have been diligent in making sure my kids succeed even when their teachers confuse them, when their homework confuses them, and when they are discouraged. I figured it was just part of being a good mom, to make sure I did everything in MY power to help them.

Jinx-Troublex3
    by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    I know adults who can't do the 2nd list!
    diaperstodating
    by Queen24Princes on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    Honestly I can't remember.
    My youngest is in kindergarten now so we will see.
    jaytee
    by Jen on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    I honestly am not sure.

Hell, I'm not even sure I can do all that!
    womanwifemomof3
    by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    1 mom liked this

Yes, my kindergartener can do that already and much more even though he's never been to a school.

He actually can do just about all the first grade standards too. 

We play a lot of cards and various games. We just interact with the world in general.

We only do "math" for 10 min a day.  I explain a concept and give him a little practice and then he's back to

playing.

For other readers, this is taken straight from common core standards.

I like to keep informed on what the schools are doing and stay aware of the standards but we do things are own way. We mostly play. Play is child's work.  I think too much focus is on the common core.  Especially with the younger grades. There are so many more important aspects of the child's development to focus on.

steelcrazy
    by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM

So how exactly is the focus on Common Core bad?

Yes, the list is the standards for kindergarteners in math.  It doesn't say how they are to be taught these things, just that they should know these skills by the end of the year.  Any good teacher makes learning fun and uses play as a form of learning.

Again, Common Core is just a simple list of skills.  The exact same list that I have copied in the OP.  It doesn't say anything about how the kids should learn those skills.

Quoting womanwifemomof3:

Yes, my kindergartener can do that already and much more even though he's never been to a school.

We play a lot of cards and various games. We just interact with the world in general.

We only do "math" for 10 min a day.  I explain a concept and give him a little practice and then he's back to

playing.

I like to keep informed on what the schools are doing and stay aware of the standards but we do things are own way. We mostly play. Play is child's work.  I think too much focus is on the common core.  Especially with the younger grades. There are so many more important aspects of the child's development to focus on.

GwenMB
    by Gwen on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Could you explain the 2nd set of standards and give an example of each?

My 7 yo could do all the first set, I believe my 5 yo (who is in preschool) can, too. The only one I'm not sure of for him is the one about using the numbers 11-19, and that's mostly because I'm not sure what that one is, either.

Quoting steelcrazy:

At the end of kindergarten was your child able to do the following?

• Know number names and the count sequence.
  • Count to tell the number of objects.
  • Compare numbers.
  • Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and understand subtraction as taking apart and taking from.
  • Work with numbers 11-19 to gain foundations for place value.
  • Describe and compare measurable attributes.
  • Classify objects and count the number of objects in each category.
  • Identify and describe shapes.
  • Analyze, compare, create, and compose shapes.
  • How about these?

1.  Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
    2.  Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
    3.  Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
    4.  Model with mathematics.
    5.  Use appropriate tools strategically.
    6.  Attend to precision.
    7.  Look for and make use of structure.
    8.  Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.

womanwifemomof3
    by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Well I never said it was bad. It's a simple list that everyone is focusing on but there are much more important skills to be focusing on in kindergarten. Children are learning how to treat each other, get along in a community, develop their individual identity within a community, establish good morals, maintain a healthy body, etc.  With all the focus on the academics that has everyone up in arms, some of these skills are overlooked. The list is simple for some but other children find it more difficult.  The goal is for every child to pass the list of skills in common core and so the focus is there.  Therefore, some of the other skills not listed in common core get overlooked in an effort for good test scores.  Common core is there. I'm fine with it being there. But people need to stop making a big deal about it and remember what is important in kindergarten. Some (not all) need to realize they are dealing with unique individual children. We don't really want just a bunch of common children. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

So how exactly is the focus on Common Core bad?

Yes, the list is the standards for kindergarteners in math.  It doesn't say how they are to be taught these things, just that they should know these skills by the end of the year.  Any good teacher makes learning fun and uses play as a form of learning.

Again, Common Core is just a simple list of skills.  The exact same list that I have copied in the OP.  It doesn't say anything about how the kids should learn those skills.

Quoting womanwifemomof3:

playing.

malibucj
    by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    2 moms liked this

My son was able to do almost all of that by the end of preschool.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN