Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Social references for SAHM's question

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM
  • 30 Replies

After being out of work for 8yrs as a SAHM, I've noticed that applications for watching kids at church or adopting a dog ask for friend references. In the work force, I've never had a problem with work related references and always had many.

As a SAHM how do you stay currant with social references when jugging a demanding family?

Also has anyone of your friends or someone asked you to be a reference for them ?

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eztwins
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM
I have friends if that's what you mean by social references. I don't think most moms go into exhile when they stay home.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM

easy - our family is very active. We have friends and references from church, scouts, sports, & volunteer activities.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

The demanding family requires that I talk to people - so I would use them as references.  Plus, I do still have a couple friends.

I volunteer a lot at school.  I've been realizing lately that, if I do need references for something, the people I work with while volunteering at school will be good references.  Which is good, since I'm not in contact with anyone I used to work with so I have no professional references (which is, I'm sure, very bad on my part).

sweetleanne
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Oh thanks! I was wondering if it was okay to do that since I've never been asked for social references before. 

Quoting GwenMB:

The demanding family requires that I talk to people - so I would use them as references.  Plus, I do still have a couple friends.

I volunteer a lot at school.  I've been realizing lately that, if I do need references for something, the people I work with while volunteering at school will be good references.  Which is good, since I'm not in contact with anyone I used to work with so I have no professional references (which is, I'm sure, very bad on my part).

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I'd ask them first, but I think they'd just be honored you asked (unless they think you're awful, but you'd know if they might think that & wouldn't ask).

Quoting sweetleanne:

Oh thanks! I was wondering if it was okay to do that since I've never been asked for social references before. 

Quoting GwenMB:

sweetleanne
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Sure, that makes sence, I would do that then.

Quoting GwenMB:

I'd ask them first, but I think they'd just be honored you asked (unless they think you're awful, but you'd know if they might think that & wouldn't ask).

Quoting sweetleanne:

Quoting GwenMB:

SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I just got a job working for our school district (high school) and, interestingly, they wanted a "professional" reference and two friend references. I was kind of surprised by that. I keep in touch with several friends from school and regularly see three of them and they offered to be references for me. My other reference did NOT come from a previous job- I became a SAHM 13 years ago and have lost contact with everyone from that company through the years- it came from the art teacher at my kids' school. I volunteered for her last year helping in class, mounting artwork, creating bulletin boards/art displays, etc.

I think staying active with volunteering/social groups/etc. helps to keep those contacts!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM

So the art teacher was your professional contact?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who lost contact with previous co-workers.  Did they care to see a list of where you'd worked in the past?  I've been thinking about this lately - I'm not sure I have the name or address of the last place I worked.  I was only there about 9 months before leaving because I got married & moved 3 hours away and I can't even remember the name of the place.

Quoting SahmTam:

I just got a job working for our school district (high school) and, interestingly, they wanted a "professional" reference and two friend references. I was kind of surprised by that. I keep in touch with several friends from school and regularly see three of them and they offered to be references for me. My other reference did NOT come from a previous job- I became a SAHM 13 years ago and have lost contact with everyone from that company through the years- it came from the art teacher at my kids' school. I volunteered for her last year helping in class, mounting artwork, creating bulletin boards/art displays, etc.

I think staying active with volunteering/social groups/etc. helps to keep those contacts!

Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM
I've never been asked for a social reference but I have friends I would ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clairewait
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd probably use church as my first outlet. Then I might go to professional connections I've kept in the years I've decided to stay home. My "personal" references - like friends and what not - could probably vouch as character witnesses for me too.

This is a good thing to be reminded of... the idea of staying connected to the adult world in some way even when kids are young. I do think it is an easy trap to fall into - the stay at home mom isolation mode. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)