Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Habits picked up from school

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM
  • 13 Replies

Oh my goodness what the @&*#! happened to my kid? Ever think that?

Yeah well I do too sometimes. I also can't stand the finger nail chewing bit that my daughter has picked up since starting Kindergarten. She never did that.  And then there's the ever so great "You're not my friend." Is there an On/Off switch for this? Oi...... Did your kid(s) ever pick up a habit from school?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:21 PM

They've picked up little things here and there, but nothing that has caused any real issues. Right now, my biggest problem is that I have to keep reminding ds1, who will be 15 next wk, to keep things age-appropriate around his brother, 10, and sister, 8, and their friends. . .

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM
My 5yo has picked up a few not so nice phrases.. like " what the" " I hate this" " I'm stupid"
Its pretty annoying
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM

My oldest learned to use the word Ni***r. With proper ghetto tone and inflection!

Walked up to a friend and said "You my N, wassup?" because thats what he saw kids on the bus doing @@ Yeah that ws NOT fun to explain to him or my family at the famiy pool party!

One of MANY reasons we now homeschool...

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I'm sure that they have, but nothing is really standing out at the moment.

Reminding the teenager to keep it age appropriate around younger ones is also a big problem at my house.

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM

this is a lot of the stuff that my son has picked up as well.  i'm not super excited about a few of the boys he plays with at school. 

Quoting mommaFruFru: My 5yo has picked up a few not so nice phrases.. like " what the" " I hate this" " I'm stupid" Its pretty annoying

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM
its the girls in our class! They are a bunch of little hell cats!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

this is a lot of the stuff that my son has picked up as well.  i'm not super excited about a few of the boys he plays with at school. 

Quoting mommaFruFru: My 5yo has picked up a few not so nice phrases.. like " what the" " I hate this" " I'm stupid" Its pretty annoying

STVUstudent
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:33 PM

sadly, there is no on/off switch.  Have you heard the "I'm not inviting you to my birthday party" yet?  One little brat who was my oldest dd's on again/off again BFF would say this and send her 'friends" into tears... she joined scouts this year, and it has made a world of difference, because we really emphasize "being a sister to every girl scout" and being "considerate and caring".  It turned a lot of that catty behavior around in this girls and my two dds, who were starting to pick it up... maybe because they don't want to deal with the wrath of the crazy Daisy leader, but hey, whatever it takes...

cindilou13
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM

My kids actually haven't.  They are little angels at school, if they act up it's at home.  My DS has picked things up from his undisciplined cousin though, he has the worst potty mouth, says/does innappropriate things, and is mean.  They unfortunately see each other at school and then weekly are together at caregiver.  We are working on other options for care but can't do anything else right now, plus we can't stop them playing at school, so we are just really working with DS on what we will NOT accept.  It's really frustrating, whenever we pick them up it takes DS anywhere from minutes to an hour to shed the rowdiness and behaviour that comes along whenever they are together.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Doesn't seem like she has habits like that.
M0M0F3B0YS82
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:31 PM

The only thing that really gets me is my 5yr old picked up "What the..." and "Oh well Im just stupid" 

I worked for about 8mo and while my 3yr old was in a daycare/preschool he picked up hitting "your a jerk" and talking back not to mention the good ol spitting 

Im glad that they dont last long once they realise its not ok

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)