Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6-Year-Old Boy Gets Stabbed & School Refuses to Call Ambulance

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM
  • 21 Replies

6-Year-Old Boy Gets Stabbed & School Refuses to Call Ambulance (VIDEO)

by Ericka Sóuter

boy stabbed with pencilThere are some things parents have grown to expect from their children's school experience. They will learn stuff. They will make friends. They will be encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities. One thing we don't ever in our wildest nightmares expect: a child to be stabbed in the neck with a pencil and school administrators do absolutely nothing about it.

Correction: They did do one thing. They called the parents and let the child sit there with the writing instrument sticking out of his neck until they arrived. What they didn't do but should have was call 911 and get an ambulance over there ASAP.

The little boy was reportedly stabbed by a bully. When his parents arrived, they found him sitting there with a pencil lodged in his neck. It begs the question, what kind of people are running this school? It sounds like they are three levels below the intelligence of the keystone cops. Even toddlers know to call 911 when someone is hurt badly.

Doctors say the pencil could have pierced the child's trachea or potentially could have been life-threatening. Thankfully, it wasn't and they removed the pencil in the ER. Needless to say, the parents are furious. Yes, it's terrifying to think that your child was accosted by a bully, but they are more upset with the school's reaction ... or rather lack thereof. For their part, however, administrators said they followed procedure.

The boy's father told reporters that the school said they didn't call the hospital because, in the past, parents have complained after being stuck with the bill. Seriously???? I would think a child's life is worth more than a few hundred bucks to the parents and the school.

“They didn’t do what they were supposed to do to take care of him,” said the father. “Regardless, it wasn’t as serious as it was, but it could have been life-threatening, and it could have cost my son his life.” I’d be furious too. Sometimes schools don’t take these things seriously enough. What kind of moronic staffers would just let the kid sit there with a pencil lodged in his throat? This is absolutely unacceptable. Kids are supposed to be safe at school or at least rely on the grownups there to help when they are in need. This school definitely gets a big fat F when it comes to that.

Video Here

How would you react if you walked in to find a pencil sticking out of your child's throat?

Do you think the school should have called 911?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happynewyorker
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

well, as a parent I would have asked the school if they had called the police and ambulance.  I'm sorry I know how assumption falls on no one to do the right thing. If I found out that they didn't, I would have called the ambulance and police. 

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM
I'd be furious that the school didnt call an ambulance.
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Hello Lawsuit.

AtiFreeFalls
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Okay, if my child had a pencil in their throat, but was not bleeding excessively, was not choking, I wouldn't call 911 at home, why would I expect the school to do any different? Id take them to tue hospital myself. What would upset me is that the child is who so viciously attacked my kid isn't in very deep, veryhot water.
chotovec82
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so glad that I homeschool. These kids are horrible now days.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I agree that I may not have called 911 at home, if my child was talking, breathing and not severely bleeding. I've been an EMT and could stabilize it and transport myself.

However, if it happened to one of my scouts on an outng, I would probably call 911. A wound like that can go from not a big deal to deadly if it moved 1/4 inch one way or the other so I would want to be covered with someone else's kid.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that one of the things we sign at the start of the school yr is a form giving the school permission to get medical attention for my kids. I'd be upset if they did not call for an ambulance on something like that. I'd rather play it save and risk getting stuck w/ an ambulance and/or ER bill.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Probably times 2...the school and the bully's family.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Hello Lawsuit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM

But see, you have common sense, a lot of parents these days don't. Schools really are damned if they do and damned if they don't anymore. Public schools are the whipping boys for all of society's ills. 

Quoting wakymom:

I think that one of the things we sign at the start of the school yr is a form giving the school permission to get medical attention for my kids. I'd be upset if they did not call for an ambulance on something like that. I'd rather play it save and risk getting stuck w/ an ambulance and/or ER bill.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this

So the article in the link says that they didn't call an ambulance because parents in the past bitched about having to pay the bill.

Well here's the solution, hand the bill to the parents of the little douche bag that thought it was okay to STAB someone in the neck. A $2,000 bill (maybe more or less) should send quite the message to bullies and their parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)