Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Playdates

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM
  • 17 Replies

How do you guys do playdates with your kids and their friends? 

Like, how often? And do the parents stay or just drop the kids off? Any rules? Do you have playdates on specific days? Playdates on school days or just on weekends? 

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM

In the past we have done the hanging out at the park since none of us really have a place large enough for more than one child to come over and visit.  DD is 8 now so there are no "play dates" per se but hanging out with each other.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:07 PM
My 2 yr old we all meet at he mall or elsewhere and the kids just play while us moms hang out. My kinder I just text a few mom's or vice versa and we get together and talk while the kids go play.
TheFairest
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM
We meet up at the park. Ds has home to his friends house in the past, the mom prefers drop off's 2 1/2 hrs and we always send a treat.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

In our neighborhood, we don't set up playdates. The kids just come ring the doorbell.

Ds1 is the one who comes closest to "playdates". B/c most his friends live outside our neighborhood, they have to coordinate times. As they are in 9th gr, they discuss day, time and whose house, and double check w/ parents. We usually end up dropping him off, and about half the time, the other parents bring him home.

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM
We don't so play dates. We both work full time do kids in afterschool and weekends usually sports and errands.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:21 PM
My kids are all older. They arrange it and then double check and go.

However, if we get the house, we will be moving 16 miles out into the desert and have to coordinate for me to drive them.

ETA: When they were young, thwy really only hung out with families from cub scouts so I knew the parents well amd trusted them. If I went to hqng out it was because we were froends too, not for me to keep an eye on things.
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM

We do playdates at a playground or local bounce house,so all parents stay in that case.But aside from that,on the weekends we may invite a friend or two to come along for a fun day and then we just pick the child/ren up and drop them back off at the end of the day.The same for when my kid is invited.

How often just depends.Some times it's once a week on the weekend or after school,or more if school is out for break that week.Sometimes a few weeks go by without a play date.It all just depends.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM

We normally do weekends. I drop my kids off but sometimes I'm invited to stay. I can't think of any rules. My DD's best friend's mom is my best friend so it's pretty easy going when they do playdates.

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:40 PM

If I know the parents well than I have no problem dropping my child off, or having their friend dropped off at my home.  

If I do not know the parents well I prefer to meet at a park, or have parents stay for the first couple of play dates.  

Kids are only allowed to play with friends after homework is done on school days, and then only until dinner time.  Usually this is just with neighbors.  

My son has a friend in his class, and often they will both do their entire homework packet for the week on Monday after school so they have a possibility of play dates later in the week.  LOL.  

2pink1blue
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM

We do all kinds of playdates.  

Usually I set them up for after school but have no problem doing playdates on weekends, especially if the kids have a sport, lesson or game with a friend.  My kids are 6, 9 and 11 so most playdates are drop-of but I am very close with several of the moms so they (or I) will often stay and chat while the kids play.

I aim to have each kid have a friend over once or twice a month but it usually ends up being more often for my 11 year old who will bring home (or go home with) a friend as often as her schedule allows. DS has a best buddy he likes to play with and we alternate houses every Monday afternoon.  

We don't necessarily have special rules for playdates but the kids understand that I have the same beavior expectations that I always have for them in our home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)