Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Why do you think teachers like Common Core?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Max
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

Many parents oppose Common Core, but educators as a whole support the changes to curriculum and instruction that have come with the Common Core standards. 

Met Life does an annual survey of teachers across the nation. 

Here are some statics on educator's views on Common Core:

A majority of principals and a majority of teachers believe that the Common Core will have a positive impact on student achievement and preparation for college and the workforce. Eight in 10 principals are very confident or confident that implementation of the Common Core will improve student achievement (82%) and better prepare students for college and the workforce (81%). This is slightly more than the seven in 10 teachers who are very confident or confident that the Common Core will improve student achievement (69%) and better prepare students for college and the workforce (71%). While majorities of educators express confidence, their support is somewhat muted. (see Figure 4.9). 

https://www.metlife.com/assets/cao/foundation/MetLife-Teacher-Survey-2012.pdf

I wonder if the opponents of Common Core have taken a step back to wonder why the teachers in the trenches would support an initiative that doesn't help students. I wonder if the opponents have considered that teachers are the ones who know what students need. I wonder if the opponents have thought that maybe they need to open their minds and pay attention to what's happening in schools rather than believe rhetoric about what could happen. 

I was told the other day that I've drunk the Kool Aid. Nothing could be farther from the truth. When I first heard about Common Core several years ago I was upset and opposed. I didn't feel national standards would meet the needs of the students. 

Then I spent the next several years learning about the standards and getting training on how they should be taught. It didn't take me long to realize this is what teachers have been saying we needed for years. 

Are they perfect? Of course not. 

But they aren't the monster they've been made out to be. 

So if you've been convinced that the new standards are ruining education please take a step back and reflect on why you think that. Take the time to read the standards themselves and read your old state standards. Take the time to see that they aren't all that different and the changes that are there generally make sense. 

If you've done all that and still don't like the standards please explain why. Because I have yet to find one person who really knows the standards and thinks they are ruining anything. 

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Teachers and principals in my district don't really like the common core.  Not sure why.

family in the van   Mom of four

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Quoting soymujer:

Teachers and principals in my district don't really like the common core.  Not sure why.

How are you not sure?

You are a teacher. Aren't you at faculty meetings and staff development where it's being discussed? Do you ask about it?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Our teachers seem to approve of it and a few have been using these standards unofficially for a few years now.  The parents do not like it since it has been introducing new words for things they have learned in their school career.

TheFairest
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM
My son's teacher is not thrilled about it.
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM
I think some parents think the teachers like it because it will be easier- force fed curriculum, etc...
soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:07 PM

It was mentioned once in a faculty meeting and it was basically, "I don't like it" and moved on.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting soymujer:

How are you not sure?

You are a teacher. Aren't you at faculty meetings and staff development where it's being discussed? Do you ask about it?

family in the van   Mom of four

fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm quite fond of it myself and most of my coworkers have only had to make minor tweaks to their existing teaching methods to accommodate it. 

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:09 PM
I also think many teachers who are not on board are apprehensive about change. But many more welcome the changes.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I am confused as to why you haven't sought out more information, 

Your kids are in school. This is impacting them. Why haven't you gotten more information about it?

And honestly, your school has mentioned it at one faculty meeting?!!! I find that quite shocking. It's come up at every meeting we've had for the past several years. 

Quoting soymujer:

It was mentioned once in a faculty meeting and it was basically, "I don't like it" and moved on.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting soymujer:

How are you not sure?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree. 

The teachers I know who dislike it rely on very antiquated mehtods of instruction. The teachers using up to date methods are very happy with the changes. 

Quoting mckinneymom918: I also think many teachers who are not on board are apprehensive about change. But many more welcome the changes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)