Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Developing too early? or right on time?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM
  • 18 Replies
I am on the border of having a panic attack. Lately my 8 year old daughter has been full of attitude. I literally have an appointment Monday with a therapist bc her emotional ups and downs concern me then tonight when she got out of the shower she showed me a small rash on her belly and I noticed a few pubic hairs on her. I almost fell down. Lately I have also noticed she looks a little bigger in her chest but I thought it was from a little recent weight gain. I feel like 8 (will be 9 in July) is so early for this. I plan on talking to the pediatrician on Monday but could use some mom to mom advice right about now.
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM
I was right at 11 but heard it starts earlier and earlier.
MamaJess9
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:10 PM
I made a similar post yesterday. My DD is almost 11 but has worn a bra since 9. Yesterday I'm 99% sure she was PMSing and it was horrible!
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Every girl is different. She may be starting puberty. My MIL started her period when she was 8, and my sister started when she was 10. I was almost 13, but my daughter is probably doomed to start young. I agree with talking to your doctor. I was a full B cup at 10 even though I didn't start my period until a couple years later.
AtiFreeFalls
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Breast development and pubic hair begins up to two years before menarche (first period). She's a little early, but not unreasonably early. Talk to the doctor to get some peace of mind, but puberty is happening at younger ages now than it used to.
GodsAmiga
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM

My best friend started her period at 8 or 9 and I started mine at 10 and was fully developed with a couple months. :-P On the other hand my sister has had at least 3 or 4 times when she was sure her oldest was going to start and was beginning that whole journey. The first time was at 8. But she is 12 now and still no sign of her period or anything much. Lots of false alarms I guess. But she IS extremely emotional and has been moody like that for a few years. Her sister started being more moody and emotional around 8 or 9 as well. And I've heard a few other moms say the same thing about their girls. I know I began to get more dramatic around then as well. :-P

jjchick75
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I was 8 when I started my period and so was my daughter. I don't think it's too early.
hk2kids
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM

My 9 year-old had a terrible attitude in 3rd grade when she was 8.  Luckily, she grew out of it.  She still has some attitude but is tolerable these days - lol!

By her 9 year-old check up, she complaining about her breasts hurting and was starting to develop.  Doctor didn't seem to think that was odd.  

So, all-in-all - your little girl isn't alone.  

Dodie702
by Doriane on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:56 PM
I got my period at age 9.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I started my period in 3/4 grade, I can't remember which. A friend of mine's daughter that I teach started her period in 3rd grade. My son is 8 (9 in November) and he has a few hairs on his balls already. So yeah, it's within acceptable age range.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Totally normal. Relax mama :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)