Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Transformation of Kindergarten

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
I LOVE this article!

http://truthabouteducation.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/the-disturbing-transformation-of-kindergarten/

(sorry not clicky; mobile users still can't do it)
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dodie702
by Doriane on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Can someone make this clicky please? :)
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Eh my kids went to daycare and preschool to play/socialize.  Once they hit elementary I wanted it to be academically focused.  What's really amusing about articles, like this one, is that the change in what's expected for kindergarteners all came from parents pushing for it.  LOL

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I sent my kids to preschool/K4 just to get used to socializing with others and get used to having someone else but me lead them.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM

My boys were beyond ready to learn reading and math in kindergarten.  They would have been bored out of their minds if kindergarten was all about playing, socializing, learning letters, numbers, and colors.  That is what was covered in preschool and they were bored to death.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with it I teach prek and the amount of parents who want their kids to start learning to read in PREK is insane. They are kids. We have our structured learning time, but honestly they really do learn a lot from playing with one another. I do think the standards for kindergarten are crazy.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Common Core "scripted lessons".....Implementation problem, not required by CC. Plus,CC standards are set in order that kids spend more time learning hands on and through self exploration not thru direct instruction from teachers. If schools are doing otherwise, they aren't truly following CC.

So many kids these days are in daycare/ppreschool/head start and get tons of play that kids didn't usually get when more moms were SAH.

Do we expect too much from our kids? Some of them, YES! But so many kids can do more. Why stifle them? On one hand a lot of people are bad mouthing CC because CC supposedly dumbs things down and in the next breath those same people belly ache because CC requires kids to do more than they are developmentally capable of doing. So, which is it- dumbed down or developmentally inappropriate?
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The kindergarten standards in Common Core are very basic and totally developmentally appropriate.  They were just posted in this group about a week ago. 

I was with the article until it got to the Common Core part. None of that is true. In fact, thanks to CC my son's classroom is more interactive and student led than it would have been a couple of years ago. 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM
From what I've heard this is kinda true. A lot has changed even since DS was in our districts kindergarten 3 years ago.

Now they are expected to be reading and doing math pre-kindergarten. Kindergarten is full day. Preschool has become almost mandatory. (they even have all day that's free but you have to pay for 1/2 day) It's insane. Children are not ment to read that early for many reasons.

I've actually watched what he's saying in my older children. My oldest went to a school were they really, really pushed reading and math early. My younger DS even though they pushed it, it wasn't a worry and he didn't really learn to read,read until 7.
Hands down my younger DS has better reading comprehension and better gasp on math concepts then my older DS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)