Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Speaking of Conferences... Why don't you show up?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Max
  • 153 Replies
1 mom liked this

No you specifically, but parents in general. 

I know most parents come when requested, but many don't bother. 

Do you know anyone like that? Are you like that?

Why do so many parents just skip out on conferences? If I could charge for the times parents were no shows I'd be sitting pretty. 

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.worthen
by Tess on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

i go. i always go. i feel like the only way i can really help is if i know what to help him with. the only way i'll know that is if the teacher and i colaborate

Firewoman33
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Not an issue for my son's school, that I can tell anyway. There's always a line of people waiting even though the teacher is usually within 5 minutes of the scheduled time.

lenashark
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

They have work, they have other obligations, they don't have anything to talk about, they don't care. One of those following. We didn't go to my six year old son's last conference because my husband had work, I had other obligations, my son isn't having any issues with school, and I already have a relationship formed with his teacher.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never missed a conference, curriculum night, or meet the teacher night with any of my three. I would be mortified if I did. I, however, can count on one hand the number of parents that show up at the high school out of 200 kids in my classes. Ugh! It's no wonder the students struggle academically! SMH

proudmommy690
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Not sure...I always go to them.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM
3 moms liked this
To be honest, I hated PTCs when my boys were in PS. I went to every one but it was always a huge waste of time! They would review the report card and there was never anything I didnt know before the.meeting!

When DS2 had issues, they said we had to have special meetings, PTC.was only.for.academics and so reschedule will ya?

Seriously...send home the report card, write a few notes on it and DONT WASTE MY TIME!
stykir
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Conferences are optional at our school if you want them...sometimes if there's a problem the teacher asks you to come. i've never been asked or requested, but if i make an appointment (anywhere) i keep it. people just aren't taught to do that anymore. I was brought up that if you commit to something, you do it.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:17 PM

We request a conference with their teachers every other report card unless something shows up on their progress report that worries us, then we meet with them immediately. Even if they are making straight A's we like to meet with their teachers so we can get an idea of what they do during the day and their teachers love showing off how well they are doing.

GinevraWeasley
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Our principal where I taught would make note of the parents who didn't come to back to school night or conferences and call them personally to ask why they chose not to come.  She was a scary lady, it would not be fun to have her on your bad side.  I love hearing about how my kids are doing at school, the good, the bad and the ugly, I can' t imagine not showing up!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: To be honest, I hated PTCs when my boys were in PS. I went to every one but it was always a huge waste of time! They would review the report card and there was never anything I didnt know before the.meeting! When DS2 had issues, they said we had to have special meetings, PTC.was only.for.academics and so reschedule will ya? Seriously...send home the report card, write a few notes on it and DONT WASTE MY TIME!

There is a lot to talk to their teachers about. They go over their progress tests and compare them to the previous ones so we can see how they are progressing. We talk about how they act in class, any social issues they are having and anything special the teachers want to tell us. I always enjoy going to their conferences. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)