Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

March Madness - anyone participating with their kid(s)?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM
  • 37 Replies

My family always does a bracket challenge - just for family bragging rights.  So I let my 7 & 5 yo boys make their picks.  My 11 yo nephew has won the last 2 times - so we are hoping someone else wins this year! lol

My boys know nothing about college basketball - so they mostly picked based on either rank or liking the name. Which is why my 7 yo has George Washington getting to the Final Four. lol  The 5 yo was all "Augie (the 7 yo) can't just pick because he likes the name!" - I should have asked him what he was using to pick. lol

Anyone else do this with their kids?

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:24 PM

DEFINITELY! Actually three of my former students are PLAYING in the tournament and so it's big in our house. My 7th grader came home yesterday so excited because they filled out brackets in his PE class too :-)

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:28 PM

That is so exciting!  Care to share who they are?  It'd be fun to cheer for athletes who were taught by someone I *know* from CM!

Quoting mjande4:

DEFINITELY! Actually three of my former students are PLAYING in the tournament and so it's big in our house. My 7th grader came home yesterday so expected because they filled out brackets in his PE class too :-)

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM

It would give too much away, but I will say one of them is projected to be drafted in the top 5 :-)

Quoting GwenMB:

That is so exciting!  Care to share who they are?  It'd be fun to cheer for athletes who were taught by someone I *know* from CM!

Quoting mjande4:

DEFINITELY! Actually three of my former students are PLAYING in the tournament and so it's big in our house. My 7th grader came home yesterday so expected because they filled out brackets in his PE class too :-)

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Yeah, I realized that after posting. lol

*off to see the list of draft predictions for the NBA*

Quoting mjande4:

It would give too much away, but I will say one of them is projected to be drafted in the top 5 :-)

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting mjande4:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM

My husband and boys are in a poll that involves money.  My 13 year old came in second last year, but my 10 year old doesn't have a clue.  lol  He does it just for fun, so a waste of the entrance fee for sure. lol

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Not at my house.  My sons hockey team did this last year, and this year I am banned (that is the joke).  I guess these guys spent hours and hours picking who would win.  I sat down and spent less than 5 minutes doing eeny-meeny-miny-moe.  I had won the whole thing won by semis and no one could catch me.  Actually I had the four semi teams picked correctly, picked the two finalist and the actually winner.  Only thing I missed was the final score of the last game.  They were not a happy group when I told them I have never even watched a game in my life.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM

It is really random, you are almost better off not knowing too much & just guessing.

I do remember lots of people complaining about broken brackets last year - I think there were lots of upsets.  So the people who think they know were out because they wouldn't have picked all, or even very many, of the upsets.

Quoting highlandmum:

Not at my house.  My sons hockey team did this last year, and this year I am banned (that is the joke).  I guess these guys spent hours and hours picking who would win.  I sat down and spent less than 5 minutes doing eeny-meeny-miny-moe.  I had won the whole thing won by semis and no one could catch me.  Actually I had the four semi teams picked correctly, picked the two finalist and the actually winner.  Only thing I missed was the final score of the last game.  They were not a happy group when I told them I have never even watched a game in my life.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM

My DH would never consent to the boys being in one that costs money. It can be a waste of money no matter how much you know!

Quoting steelcrazy:

My husband and boys are in a poll that involves money.  My 13 year old came in second last year, but my 10 year old doesn't have a clue.  lol  He does it just for fun, so a waste of the entrance fee for sure. lol

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Well Dayton and Harvard have already busted many brackets lol

Quoting GwenMB:

It is really random, you are almost better off not knowing too much & just guessing.

I do remember lots of people complaining about broken brackets last year - I think there were lots of upsets.  So the people who think they know were out because they wouldn't have picked all, or even very many, of the upsets.

Quoting highlandmum:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Yes, they have. Including ours. Lol

Quoting mjande4:

Well Dayton and Harvard have already busted many brackets lol

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting highlandmum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN