Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Parent Teacher Confrences tonight. Should i talk to the teacher again?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 47 Replies
If this is long I apologize. My son is six and in 1st grade. Last year in kindergarten we had a few problems with him controlling his impulses. He has a hard time sitting still, and waiting his turn to answer a question. I worked with his teacher on keeping things consistent at home with following directions and what he was expected to do at school. He started 1st grade in the fall and while I don't believe my son is perfect his behavior at home has improved but his 1st grade teacher just labels him a "bad" kid. We are in the process of having him evaluated for ADHD, but there is no give with her. I call and leave messages with her to check on his behavior but rarely do I hear back, but when my son comes home he tells me he was "red" I get frustrated. Last week I chaperoned a field trip and she made the comment she was glad I was there so she didn't have to deal with him. He is not a bad kid, he isn't violent. My main problem happened the next day when she called me on the way to work asking me to bring clothes up there because he had an accident. I go up there and asked why he didn't ask the teacher to go to the bathroom he said because he didn't want to get in trouble. Then yesterday I called (20 minutes after school got out)to find out what time conferences were and she told me that while he was lining up for the bus she noticed he was crying and he told her he hit his head. By this time his dad called to tell me he had just got home and was crying because a kid in his class grabbed him by the hood and threw him on the ground while they were lining up. So my main issue now is he hit his head, was crying and she just sent him on the bus and had I not called her I wouldn't have known. I called her back and she said she didn't think it was anything bad because "he was only crying a little". He sat on the bus for almost 20 minutes crying because his head hurt. This kid never cries. I have tried to give her the benefit of the doubt because I know he can be a handful, but I'm starting think no matter what he does he is just the "bad" kid. I am tired of trying to be nice to her.
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, it sounds like he is young for the grade and displaying his immature behavior. A lot of teachers are patient with it in the beginning, but by the third quarter not so much. He may or may not have ADHD, regardless everyone needs to be on the same page and it sounds like you aren't. How are his grades/academic progress?

ARPsMom
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:27 PM
His grades are great. He is meeting and excelling in everything on that end. He reads good, great at math, just started Spanish this year and is doing good with that as well. This has went on since the first week of school. He is in after school torturing and does great with that. I don't know what else to do.

Quoting mjande4:

Honestly, it sounds like he is young for the grade and displaying his immature behavior. A lot of teachers are patient with it in the beginning, but by the third quarter not so much. He may or may not have ADHD, regardless everyone needs to be on the same page and it sounds like you aren't. How are his grades/academic progress?

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Is he in sports/extracurricular activities where he can learn to focus/behave according to the group dynamics?

Quoting ARPsMom: His grades are great. He is meeting and excelling in everything on that end. He reads good, great at math, just started Spanish this year and is doing good with that as well. This has went on since the first week of school. He is in after school torturing and does great with that. I don't know what else to do.
Quoting mjande4:

ARPsMom
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Yes he is in a scouting type program, and I think we are going to look into some type of sports.

Quoting mjande4:

Is he in sports/extracurricular activities where he can learn to focus/behave according to the group dynamics?

Quoting ARPsMom: His grades are great. He is meeting and excelling in everything on that end. He reads good, great at math, just started Spanish this year and is doing good with that as well. This has went on since the first week of school. He is in after school torturing and does great with that. I don't know what else to do.

Quoting mjande4:

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:10 PM

My son has this difficulty in kindergarden too but he is diagnosed with Autism.   I would have a doctor or child psychologist specialized in Autism and ADHD diagnose him

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I would request a meeting with the teacher and the principal. Make sure you are very careufl with how you word your issues.

Sports would probably be great.

ARPsMom
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Should I ask the teacher for the meeting or call the principal and ask for one?

Quoting 2-point-doe:

I would request a meeting with the teacher and the principal. Make sure you are very careufl with how you word your issues.

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I would call or email the principal directly. You might say something like: my son is having some issues. I would like to get toeghter with you and Ms. X and a discuss a game plan so we can all be on the same page and do what is best for my son.

Remember not to accuse the teacher and be very understanding and sympathetic to her (even if it almost kills you). You might write down some of the issues ahead of time and practice wording them so they aren't accusatory. Have a co worker or friend here them and give some feedback.

Quoting ARPsMom: Should I ask the teacher for the meeting or call the principal and ask for one?
Quoting 2-point-doe:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Always start WITH the teacher, but in writing ask for the admin too.

Quoting ARPsMom: Should I ask the teacher for the meeting or call the principal and ask for one?
Quoting 2-point-doe:

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:30 PM

When is his birthday?  I only ask because of the poster that said he may be too young for the grade.  I would talk to the principal about how you try to communicate with her and she doesn't respond. 

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)