Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: should 6 yr old be allowed to pick to bedroom paint color?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM
  • 70 Replies

Poll

Question: Should she be able to pick the motif and aint for her room only :

Options:

Yes if its with in reason:

No she'e too young

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 165

View Results

I'm going nuts staying home all day we only have one car my hubby uses so I've made it my mission to remodel my house. When i told my mom she was all on board now that i told her Hope My (DD) picked lite lilac she asked if dds(6)should really be picking the color of her room wdyt?

Thanks for your guidance!
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iHEAVENn
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see the harm in it. Not like you can't repaint in a few years 

-:Logan Jacob:--:December 1st 2007:--:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- -:My Everything:- 

-:Hunter Xavier:--:EDD 7-12-14:-

baby development

jiffypop2207
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM
My dd is 5 she picked the color of her room. Its lite purple. I would have rather done it pink but shes the one who's got to live in it
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I let my kids pick their colors, but my husband and I have the final say and have to agree with them. We recently painted my six year old son's walls, he came up with some choices and we narrowed them down together. We allow the kids rooms to have their personalities involved, but we also require that they still go with the overall look of the overall house, no neon green, bright pink, or anything else that just wouldn't look good. He chose a nice shade of blue.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Sure...I let my kids pick their motif when they were tiny..for Lilly, it was because she was being moved out of the nursery into a big girl room. She picked a light yellow with a bug ( butterfly/ladybug/bee) border. My youngest got to choose hers when she was 4ish...I had already painted it the same light yellow as her sister's room and the hallway, but let her pick the other decorations...she picked Disney Princess. 

When we move in the coming year, we are going to let them pick their own motif again..they will be almost 10 and almost 7 when we move.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

hottmommi42
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I let my 5 year old pick her room paint. Its purple and pink. And more pink. Shes into pink. I figure paint is easier to replace than furniture so she can be mad that her bed isnt pink for now but she will thank me later. Im going to be so glad when we are out if the everyhing must be pink stage!
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Absolutely fine! As long as she doesn't TOTAL control (or she could end up having a black painted room!) I think letting her pick it out (with your approval) is GREAT!
Saharra
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Sure. You could even bring home some samples of what she could choose (that you agree with), and let her pick from those. It's not permanent. May as well let her enjoy her room.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM

When we finally move, our kids will pick their own room colors. Their favorite colors are purple for dd and yellow for ds.

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM

It's her room so why not allow her to pick the color.  If it's reasonable enough.

family in the van   Mom of four

urbpro
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Absolutely, it's her room and paint is the easiest, most inexpensive thing to switch out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)