Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Adult teeth not coming in after baby teeth fall out?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM
  • 20 Replies

My daughter has lost both her front baby teeth. One was growing behind the baby tooth before it even fell out and has grown out nicely. The other one fell out a few weeks later. I knew it was taking awhile but just now was looking at pictures from when we had family here for christmas and realized that it must have been even before christmas because she has that gap in those pics. So it has been like 3 months with no sign of a tooth. Their 6 month dentist appointment isn't til next month but i am thinking of pushing it up. I am worried she will look like a hilly billy(what we call them when they lose a tooth-don't worry, we just say it a couple of times and they think it is hilarious) forever or until we get her a fake one. Has this happened to anyone? Give me hope that it will come in eventually.

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I've never heard of adult teeth not coming in eventually.  I also don't think this is a reason to push up the appt - next month will be soon enough to have the dentist check it out.  Plus, lots of times the insurance won't let you go any earlier since they want 6 months between appts.  It wouldn't hurt to call the dentist & ask - they may be able to reassure you over the phone, or at least will make a note to check on it when she comes in next month.

Good luck! I'm sure it'll be fine, but I definitely get being worried.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Often times it takes 6 months, or longer, for an adult tooth to come in.  This is especially true if the "baby" tooth came out sooner than it was ready.  The dentist will be able to tell you if the adult tooth is up in her gums, honestly the dentist should have been able to tell this for awhile and would have already alerted you if there was a problem.  Relax and leave the appointment date alone.

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM
My daughter wears an expander because she had a tooth that was not coming in. We gave it two years before seeing the orthodontist and it's coming out just fine now. Your dentist should be able to see what is going on and then recommend a trip to the orthodontist if needed.
hottmommi42
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM
This same thing happened to my dd. Its been like 6 months. The dentist said he can see it, but the baby tooth fell out a bit early.
mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:18 PM
My sisters daughters teeth took a year to come in
ConcernedCousin
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:18 PM

hm. My son lost his top two and top bottom teeth months ago and only the bottom two have started with adult teeth. He lost all of them within a week of each other. The bottom two are halfway up with adult teeth and the top two haven't even started. They'll come when they're ready, maybe they just aren't far down enough in the gums yet.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM
the tooth could have just been lost a little early, or slow to come in. Give it time

My 5.5yo lost his top two teeth over a year ago due to an accident, and his adult teeth are still atleast a year away
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:49 PM
I wouldn't push up the appointment. My 10 year old had baby teeth removed last fall to make room for the adult. When we were last at the orthodontist in October he wasn't too concerned with them coming in quickly. He has to go back in May to check but got the impression they aren't concerned if not in yet. Now because he has a complex dental issue he has been having X-rays and 3d scans done so we know the teeth are there just need to come in,
Saharra
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:52 PM
The baby teeth won't fall out if there is nothing under it pushing it out. I had missing adult teeth in the back, and they never came loose. DH still has some that didn't come out because of no tooth underneath. They will come.
My DS lost his first tooth on Valentines day and already has the full tooth in. I couldn't believe how fast it came. I'm still wondering if that is normal! Lol. Everything comes at it's own pace, I guess! ;)
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:03 PM
I'd say wait it out and see what happens at her next check up. Dd had to have 3 teeth pulled these past two months since her adult teeth we're pushing through but the baby teeth weren't out yet. She also got a referral to see an orthodontist and now needs a spacer and braces. She's turning 8 soon and didn't start losing her teeth till late last year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN