Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Regressing after 2 weeks of success

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM
  • 10 Replies
I've posted here before about my 5 year old son. He has issues making it to the potty. We did some rewards for him and stopped pull-ups completely and after a week or so something clicked! Now 2 weeks later he is back to having accidents multiple times a day again. He is pooping in his pants and not telling anyone, wetting his pants at daycare, too. The rewards are no longer working. Any ideas?
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM
2 moms liked this
If you have ruled out all medical issues and he's not developmentally delayed, I say it's time for punishment. He knows how to use the toilet properly but is making the choice not to. So he should be punished for not following directions as with any other act of defiance.
LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Talk to his pediatrician.
lovemymini
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe they aren't taking him regularly at daycare.
JanieJo
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Have appt next week

Quoting LovlyRita: Talk to his pediatrician.
JanieJo
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM
He is somewhat delayed..speech and fine motor skills but he does know how to use the potty. Not sure if he is choosing not to or just being lazy about it

Quoting Andrewsmom70: If you have ruled out all medical issues and he's not developmentally delayed, I say it's time for punishment. He knows how to use the toilet properly but is making the choice not to. So he should be punished for not following directions as with any other act of defiance.
LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Have you ever had issues with him holding his poop in? Sometimes when kids make a habit of holding in their poop it stretches the bowels and then they have trouble deciphering when they have to go poop. your doctor should have a better idea if that's the case if so you may have to give them MiraLAX for probably a few months in order to regulate them and get a shrink the bowel back to size. Good luck!

Quoting JanieJo: Have appt next week

Quoting LovlyRita: Talk to his pediatrician.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Choosing not to=lazy=defiance

Quoting JanieJo: He is somewhat delayed..speech and fine motor skills but he does know how to use the potty. Not sure if he is choosing not to or just being lazy about it

Quoting Andrewsmom70: If you have ruled out all medical issues and he's not developmentally delayed, I say it's time for punishment. He knows how to use the toilet properly but is making the choice not to. So he should be punished for not following directions as with any other act of defiance.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I'd talk to the pedi before moving to the punishments (not a big fan of punishments for potty accidents, though).

It has helped, with my 5 yo, to ban him from sitting where ever he was when he has an accident for a day (and lengthening by a day if it happens again).  So he lost couch sitting priviledges for a few days - and one day he wasn't allowed to sit at the dinner table for supper because he had an accident the day before during supper.  I've also taken away the Kindle if he had an accident while using it.  That seems to have helped.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM
That's frustrating my advice keep him in underwear he will eventually stop.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Accidents are when you can't help it. He can use the toilet consistently because he did it for two weeks. That's not an accident, that's on purpose (unless you are sick or something similar).

Quoting GwenMB:

I'd talk to the pedi before moving to the punishments (not a big fan of punishments for potty accidents, though).

It has helped, with my 5 yo, to ban him from sitting where ever he was when he has an accident for a day (and lengthening by a day if it happens again).  So he lost couch sitting priviledges for a few days - and one day he wasn't allowed to sit at the dinner table for supper because he had an accident the day before during supper.  I've also taken away the Kindle if he had an accident while using it.  That seems to have helped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)