Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Dd has been out since Tuesday and next week is spring break. All three had fevers but dd was hit the hardest. Weds I sent an email that id pick up missed class work. I only got reply from my fifth graders teacher. He went Thursday and got his work. My second grader went back today. I never did get a reply from his teacher. I sent another email to my dd teacher and still no reply from her. Guess thier work isn't all that important. But man, I've never heard a kid want to go to school so bad in my life :)
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Replies (11-18):
Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Ds was sick with a bad ear infection a few weeks ago.  I asked dd to pick up ds homework, well ds teacher was out so she had a sub, and the sub refused to give dd the homework, as they would have to ask the teacher if it was ok.

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Our school's policy is that no missed work will be sent home unless the child misses 3 days or more. Their reasoning is that sick kids should be home resting. (I also heard teachers were sick of flaky parents that called and never showed for the homework packets).

In your case I'd assume the teacher would want to send a packet. How strange:/
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Did you ask for a reply in the email?

If I got an email from a parent saying they were coming to pick up work I probably wouldn't reply either unless they had asked a question. If they are telling me something in the email I normally don't reply.  But that doesn't mean I wouldn't get the work ready. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Quoting LovlyRita: Our school's policy is that no missed work will be sent home unless the child misses 3 days or more. Their reasoning is that sick kids should be home resting. (I also heard teachers were sick of flaky parents that called and never showed for the homework packets). In your case I'd assume the teacher would want to send a packet. How strange:/

It's so aggravating. It takes a while to pull everything together and write out all the instructions. Lots of times no one comes to get it and then when the child takes it home it never gets done. 

Lennyloves
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Yes, the first email said i would pick it up later that day or or Thursday whenever it was available and the second said either they can send it home with my other kids or, I can pick it up.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting LovlyRita: Our school's policy is that no missed work will be sent home unless the child misses 3 days or more. Their reasoning is that sick kids should be home resting. (I also heard teachers were sick of flaky parents that called and never showed for the homework packets).

It's so aggravating. It takes a while to pull everything together and write out all the instructions. Lots of times no one comes to get it and then when the child takes it home it never gets done. 

Lennyloves
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM
And I said in the second email that I was sure if she recieved my first email and explained it all over again.

Quoting Lennyloves: Yes, the first email said i would pick it up later that day or or Thursday whenever it was available and the second said either they can send it home with my other kids or, I can pick it up.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting LovlyRita: Our school's policy is that no missed work will be sent home unless the child misses 3 days or more. Their reasoning is that sick kids should be home resting. (I also heard teachers were sick of flaky parents that called and never showed for the homework packets).

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

The week before a big break is usally NUTS around school, so I would totally understand if they teacher put your email on the back burner and forgot. Seriously.

Usually I'd try to send a quick one-liner that said, "I'll get back to you when I can but in the meantime don't worry too much..."

I know other teachers who have a missed day policy and expect their parents to just know it... so if there is something from the beginning of the year that said, "I'll send home all missed work when the child returns," the teacher might just be waiting until the student gets back. Annoying, but not totally weird. Most teachers are pretty set in a routine and I know plenty that can't function when parents interrupt it, you know?

2nd grade? I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just make sure your child reads every day, seriously.

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I get messages from the office to bring homework for students all the time.  I tend to do it everytime but get so busy and forget.  We teachers are human as well.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN