Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

High maintenance!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM
  • 113 Replies

How needy are your little darlings?! I hate to use that word because all children require love and attention. But my child seems to require a lot more attention than most! Lol...I have people come up to me (mostly family) and tell me they don't know how I do it. She has so much energy and love and I love her sooo much and love playing with her, but my God! I wish she could entertain herself for a while sometimes. That sounds so bad and I feel guilty because I know it's just her personality. 

I think a lot of people blew this out of proportion. There's a lot more behind the story. My dd can get up some mornings and make herself breakfast and what not, but most of the time she wants me to be around her. I am the only consistent thing she's had in her life. Her dad is in the military and he treated us both so bad. We got divorced and I'm remarried now and my husband is also in the military and he's gone a LOT. He's been gone for three weeks and won't be home for at least another week. So it's just her and me and she gets lonely just like I do. She's a very sweet kid, does awesome in school, and loves to be around other people. I didn't ask for advice in my post, I was venting because we were having an extra crazy day. So thanks, but when it comes to being a parent I do things MY way because they are the right way for my family. 

by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sammi.Gonzalez
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM

My daughter Carmina is 100% drama queen.

LiLsMaMa21
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha mine too!! DIVA!!!! And she needs constant reminding of how awesome she is. Lol

Quoting Sammi.Gonzalez:

Sammi.Gonzalez
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 2:01 PM

That is my girl too and when something happens ( gets hurt , gets sad , mad etc ) it is over kill she swears she is dying. I dread her becoming a teenager because she is a mini one at 8 yrs old lol.

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

Haha mine too!! DIVA!!!! And she needs constant reminding of how awesome she is. Lol

Quoting Sammi.Gonzalez:

LiLsMaMa21
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM

YES!! OMG we have twins. Lol...well if she's 8 and still like that there's probably no hope for me. Mine's about to turn 6 and getting sassier and sassier every day. 

Quoting Sammi.Gonzalez:

That is my girl too and when something happens ( gets hurt , gets sad , mad etc ) it is over kill she swears she is dying. I dread her becoming a teenager because she is a mini one at 8 yrs old lol.

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

Quoting Sammi.Gonzalez:

Sammi.Gonzalez
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Lol awe Carmina isn't bossy or anything she is a good girl just overly dramatic lol.

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

YES!! OMG we have twins. Lol...well if she's 8 and still like that there's probably no hope for me. Mine's about to turn 6 and getting sassier and sassier every day. 

Quoting Sammi.Gonzalez:

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

Quoting Sammi.Gonzalez:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM

My boys aren't too bad most of the time.  It really helps that they have a brother to play with & are only 20 months apart.  The younger one can be needy when big brother is in school, though.

It might help to start encouraging independent play.  Not sure how to do that, exactly, other than saying "go play!".  My boys just did it naturally.  I didn't ever spend that much time entertaining them, and they never watched tv or movies or played with electronics as babies/toddlers.  So they learned to entertain themselves with their toys or whatever they found.  I'm not sure how to get to that point with older kids, though.

Marti123
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM
I have one high needs child, he is just exhausting!

I constantly have to remind myself, to take deep breath, find patience and deal with his behavior. It is never ending!

My oldest is typical IMO. The youngest is still an infant.
theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM

My 10 year old daughter is a drama queen also, but my three sons are so down-to-earth and very very low maintenance. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:48 PM
9 moms liked this
Independent play should be started in toddlerhood. I would give baby things to play with while I cook dinner or clean or take a pee and just keep redirecting them and refocusing them on the toy.

I would put them in a baby safe area or.pack n play and start with "Mommy will be right back"..step out.for.a few seconds and come back and praise.them. work up to longer. As they get.older I change it to,.wait here and play with xx while I potty. Then go for longer.

None.of.my.kids.ever.pounded.on the bathroom door or.followed.me to take a dump. I never understand moms who say,"I cant evwn pee in peace." SET BOUNDARIES AND EXPECTATIONS!
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM
3 moms liked this
For drama queen crap, dont.play into it. Calmly,"Oh, you have ahangnail..lets.wash it clip it and bandaid, quick kiss it.make it better...now go play.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)