Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What age would you let your child go to over night camp?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM
  • 55 Replies

Providing you think they are ready. DD is in the 1st grade and in her 2nd year as a girl scout daisy and wants to go to camp. It runs Sunday through Tuesday and we would drive her there and back. I don't think that anyone else in her troop is going and that doesn't bother her. She has stayed with her grandparents for a week at a time and been on several sleepovers.

At what age would you consider letting your child go?

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-does-hair
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:17 PM
It depends on my kid. My oldest would be fine with it. He does day camps already, next year he will be able to go to boyscout camp, and I will encourage him to go. They already have campouts, but they are with parents. My youngest, I don't think he'll be ready anytime soon. He's almost 6 and I don't see him wanting to do that.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Dd went to her 1st week long overnight camp at 7 and every year since!

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Ds1 was 10 when he first went. He just wasn't ready for then. Ds2 is 10 and will be going for the first time this summer. He probably would've been fine going last yr, but we had plans out of state at the time the camp was.

Dd is 8 and not ready for it yet. She'll be sticking w/ daycamp for a couple more yrs.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:22 PM
Probably 7 or 8
MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:22 PM
depends on child ds no prob. even at 7. dd is going on 9 n not reDy
theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM

My son and daughter have been going now since they were 7 years of age. They go every summer for three weeks. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM
as soon as they wanted to provided they met the age requirements.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I didnt think daisy girls could stay more than one night at least that is what our troop says.  But she went as a daisy for one night, and then brownie and junior she has stayed 2days.  But we go do things with her brother's troop all the time.

Linagma03
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

My 1st grader went to GS camp and had a blast. She and the majority of her troup went. 

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM

We would have let our oldest go to a bible camp last summer, but he was still playing baseball (was 8 and going into 3rd).  I was a little relieved because he was still very inconsistant in when he would be wet at night and I just didn't know about sending him with nighttimes or hoping for the best!  I just looked at the camp's schedule and his camp would be after baseball so we might let him go if he wants to, especially since he's very rarely wet at night these days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)