Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is this appropriate for an elementary school?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM
  • 127 Replies

Poll

Question: Are leggings/tight yoga pants showing the bum appropriate for someone working in a school?

Options:

Yes - to each their own

No. Wear something long with them

Infamous 'Other'

Banana

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 172

View Results

I feel like this is far from appropriate for a parent or volunteer to be parading in front of Kinders and Grade 1s.

She often is seen around the school, wearing nothing long enough to cover her bum. Would this make you uncomfortable, and should I say something to the staff to let her know? Other parents who wait for their children before the end of day bell rings have whispered to me that they hope she isn't working with their kids.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:48 PM
8 moms liked this

I would have to see the exact outfit,  most importantly the top, before I could say definitively.  That said, moms who have too much time on their hands tend to nitpick school personnel.   If that's the worst thing going on, then count your blessings and move on.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this

if it is a parent, it is their own wardrobe.  If it is a professional dressing like this then i would question it as leggings w/o a tunic style blouse look unprofessional.  I would not say anything though to the person or others.

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM

She is both. The school does have a "modest dress code" policy. I just looked on the school website so it may be worth it to at least mention it to the teacher she's working for. I think she's a practicum student (getting her B.ed). She's quite young and doesn't dress professional at all. She often looks like she's ready to go to the gym. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

if it is a parent, it is their own wardrobe.  If it is a professional dressing like this then i would question it as leggings w/o a tunic style blouse look unprofessional.  I would not say anything though to the person or others.

M0M0F3B0YS82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd say at least cover the bum and that goes for anyone I see lol
Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I'm surprised none of the other teachers have said anything tbh. She is quite voluptuous and often wears v-neck t-shirts. I'm baffled as to how she is even able to wear the clothes. She works in the Kindergarten room but I see her walking around the halls of the school on my son's side from time to time. Even my son's teacher is uncomfortable about it.

Quoting mjande4:

I would have to see the exact outfit,  most importantly the top, before I could say definitively.  That said, moms who have too much time on their hands tend to nitpick school personnel.   If that's the worst thing going on, then count your blessings and move on.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly the parents are going to be more bothered by it than anything. The kids aren't going to be aware of it being anything other than "interesting patterned pants" Older students would probably notice a little more about how it fits

Her behavior is more a reflection on her character than her clothes. At least she is volunteering...what about all the gossiping people? Are they contributing, our just being critical?

All that being said, if she is a professional within the school she needs some guidance from the administration.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM
2 moms liked this
If her attire is truly not within guidelines, then her cooperating teacher, university supervisor, and/or the building principal are handling it. That's part of the process. Dress code is a highly subjective area.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

I'm surprised none of the other teachers have said anything tbh. She is quite voluptuous and often wears v-neck t-shirts. I'm baffled as to how she is even able to wear the clothes. She works in the Kindergarten room but I see her walking around the halls of the school on my son's side from time to time. Even my son's teacher is uncomfortable about it.

Quoting mjande4:

TheMommyTaxi
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I voted no because I thought you meant a school employee.  A volunteer?  Nope, you sure can't control their clothing choices.  There is no "dress code" for someone who comes in a VOLUNTEERS their time.  As stupid as they might look, nothing you can really do about it, nor should you mention it to staff.  It's neither their place nor their business to address her wardrobe issues.

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:13 PM

If yoga pants bother you, then under no circumstances should you ever come to San Diego, I hardly ever see women wearing jeans or slacks here, it's yoga pants, leggings, or dresses.

But here no one seems to concern themselves with what other people are wearing because it's just not their business.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:18 PM
As an employee yes unprofessional as a volunteer nope
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)