Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

small town mentality

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM
  • 52 Replies

I was brought up in a small town in central USA.  As a child, I was able to be out till dark and wander around and we didn't have to lock our doors.  We have lived in different  places.  We did live in one city.  But for the most part, small towns.  Now, I let my kids play outside without supervision since they were like 5.  I'd let them ride their bikes up and down the street without watching.  I never worried about them.  Now, I would check up on them every so often and I would look out the window so it wasn't like it was completely unsupervised, I just didn't feel like I had to be out there with them all the time.  This wouldn't be all the time, just when I had things to do inside that I couldn't put off.  I would go outside and play with them most times.  So, I guess I just don't understand parents that freak out when they hear about a child being outside without an adult.  I know there are bad people out there and things happen.  The town I grew up in and the town I live in now aren't small enough where we know everyone's names but we aren't in the100,000 either.  The town we live in is under 10,000.  I'm not bashing anyone here.  Just give me an insight to your thinking. 

family in the van   Mom of four

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I didn't grow up in a small town. I grew up in a suburb of 75,000 plus. We locked our doors, and didn't know everyone around us. I only really know two of my neigbors now, and will not allow my small children outside alone. I'm happy being outside with them anyway though.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM
My kids are 5&2 and play outside unsupervised in our front side and back yard. The windows open and door open I can hear them I do check on them but I don't see the big deal.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I am aiming to find a house for us so that she can have a yard to play in.  Where we live currently there is no where to play safely unless we go to a park.  Then I will  have her be more independant on the structures or in the grassy area.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids have played outside unsupervised since they were 3. I live in the country where there is nothing to fear except when the bull is in the pasture. lol

Population of my "town" is less than 2,000
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
confused0701
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM

I live in a town of 1000 and she's 8 almost 9 so yes I let her play outside alone all the time. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in the heart of a major metro area, and kids still play like that in our neighborhood. I don't think living in a big town should prevent you from being able to let you kids play outside with limited supervision (as long as they have proven to be responsible).

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM
I live in a large suburb of Philadelphia and let my kids play outside unsupervised all the time (though every so often I could peek outside the windows). We lock our doors but not out of fear, we just do it (partially because the seal on our door is shot so if you just lock the bottom, it doesn't always close whereas the deadbolt assures us it's closed. Plus we have an Alzheimer's patient up the street who wandered the neighborhood last month). Heck I came home today and found my house key sitting next to the driveway...must've fallen out of my bag this morning. Nothing happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:37 PM
I totally agree with this. They have always known to stay in the yard or, when a bit older, whose house they could walk to. More importantly, though, they knew not to talk to adult strangers.

Quoting Barabell:

I live in the heart of a major metro area, and kids still play like that in our neighborhood. I don't think living in a big town should prevent you from being able to let you kids play outside with limited supervision (as long as they have proven to be responsible).

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Agree 100%

Quoting Barabell:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:51 PM
We live in a very small town. But our street has some questionable people that live several houses away. Some people drive too fast and have no respect for kids playing. Heck, one day my son and I were out getting a run in and we were running on the side of the road. My son was in the gutter area and sometimes in a yard and I was beside him closer to the road. Some idiot in a big truck almost hit us. I just don't trust people. And it doesn't help that my SO does polygraph testing for his career and I proof the reports. He mainly does sex offenders so I've seen some doozies. Plus my dad was a warden.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN