Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Report card and open communication with teacher

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM
  • 28 Replies

my daughter received her report card yesterday.  The comment from the teacher: I appreciate the open lines of communication between us.  then writes: Daughter remains below grade level standards in most academic areas.

Excuse me??  I receive this from a comment and not over the phone.  What kind of non-sense is this?  This is the first I'm hearing about this.

I've sending a letter with my daughter to school asking the teacher how come this is the first time I'm hearing this and why wasn't tis discussed over the phone or in person.

Have you ever had a situation like this? How did you handle it? 

***FOLLOW UP!!   Happy Thursday!

I spoke with Katharine's teacher, she said that Katharine is distracted during class which doesn't help her. When she does her classwork on test she rushed through the test and gets a low grade. During class work she also rushes and this is what's causing the below grade level. It also seems that Katharine needs someone to start her or get her to push herself on the homework and classwork.

I'm trying to let Katharine be responsible.  When she leaves the afterschool program she meets me at different locations. Yesterday, she waited by herself for the school bus, something she wants to do in the morning.  I'm hoping these ways of responsibilities show her that if she can be responsible on doing things by herself with me trusting, then she will need to take responsibility for her actions at school and also, when it comes to homework and school work. She will need to be proud when she bring home a good grade again.  I have to encourage her to do better at school. Best regards,

Thanks for all your questions, advice and suggestions.

Best regards

Lee

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M0M0F3B0YS82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Whoa that's crazy, I'd be request ion a conference immediately, usually if my boys start to slip we see it either progress report or they tell us but I see a lot of the boys teachers outside of school

Did the teacher ever mention at any conference? Seems strange if it's just started
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Has the teacher been discussing academics with you?

What are her grades like?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Has your dd been bringing home graded assignments and tests? If so, those should've shown you how she is doing. I haven't gotten a lot of emails from ds2's teacher, but knew he was going to get a couple Bs on his report card instead of the straight As he usually gets b/c he had brought home some tests/assignments w/ Bs, and I think 1 C, on them in those subjects.

Of course, there is nothing wrong w/ contacting the teacher to talk about it. It can help you get ideas on how to help your dd.

MommyChance
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:38 AM
I can look at all my sons grades online. It's a wonderful tool. His teacher also sends all his work home, graded, so I can keep up with how he is doing that way too.
I would think if she were that far below, you would have been contacted. however, I know with my sons school, the parents are expected to keep up with it, since there are so many tools for us to do so.
What have her previous report cards looked like?
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:39 AM

This.

Quoting MommyChance: I can look at all my sons grades online. It's a wonderful tool. His teacher also sends all his work home, graded, so I can keep up with how he is doing that way too. I would think if she were that far below, you would have been contacted. however, I know with my sons school, the parents are expected to keep up with it, since there are so many tools for us to do so. What have her previous report cards looked like?

BlueKWoz
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

What grade is she in?  The younger the less I would be concerned.  Most schools grade on hitting a certain standard and for some kids it is normal to be below grade level until the end of the year.  I would be concerned if I was unaware of this up until now, but I wouldn't panic.  My son was below grade level in reading until 2nd grade, now in 4th he reads at a 10th grade level, so it is all good.

I would ask the teacher is there anything you can do to help your child improve in reading/math, etc.  Don't stress out, reach out to the teacher to talk about what can be done, because you don't want her to be behind next year as well.  Good luck!

urbpro
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM

My kids teachers don't contact us over the phone and I don't see them in person except during school events. We communicate via the kids planners. Any questions that I have, I write in their planner and get an answer back the next day. Their teachers also write little notes in there when there is something I need to know. My older kids (3rd and 4th) have binders where they keep their graded papers so I know exactly how they are doing. I don't expect the teacher to contact me constantly when the information is already coming home. I would schedule a conference to get all the information on your daughter's progress and issues and then ask for a weekly update or something similar so you can see when she falls behind.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM
I would set up a time to talk or meet. I'm in constant contact with DD's teacher (email is easiest for us) and see all of her tests/class assignments so there aren't any surprises here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM
We have an on line grading system but not all teachers impute regularly. A lot of the older ones are set in their ways and use an old fashion grade book and then enter final grades at report card time. In younger grades not as much of an issue since paperwork would be coming home. Now in 5th grade we only get things back that need to be reviewed or signed but his current teacher uses the on line grades. It's really helpful. I'm no longer surprised at report card time. Even in younger grades when I got papers back it wasn't clear what was an assignment a quiz or test so a 100 on a quiz or assignment will hold less weight then a 75 on a test but with the grading system the weights are put in so I can see his grades and average.

My youngest school doesn't have online grades but his teacher is really good at communicating either by notes email or in person.

I'd send a note or email or call and ask for specifics where she is behind what you can do and the best way for her to reach you and you to reach her.
happynewyorker
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM

No, she didn't mark a conference on the report card.  In fact last week I emailed her asking if we needed a conference regarding the report card.  I didn't receive a response. 

I took the day off because wednesday is a half a day, for parent teacher conference. 

I'm waiting for a phone call today or I'll be heading to the school tomorrow to find out what this is all about.

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82: Whoa that's crazy, I'd be request ion a conference immediately, usually if my boys start to slip we see it either progress report or they tell us but I see a lot of the boys teachers outside of school Did the teacher ever mention at any conference? Seems strange if it's just started

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)