Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

language immersion schools **update

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:45 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this
Our school district.opened up a Chinese immersion program. My daughter really wants to go to it. I think it's an excellent opportunity, the class sizes will.be small and it's the first program of it's kind in our area. The administrator I spoke to said.very few.children in the program are mandarin speaking and that none are fluent.

Problem.... We're not Chinese nor do we have the heritage or language knowledge. would it be weird if I enrolled my daughter in it since we don't have the heritage? Anyone else have their child in something similar?

*** my Dh is turning in the enrollment package as we speak! We'll see if she gets in, if not she can continue at her regular school.

Update again - she got accepted! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. We met the teacher and new principal for the program. She will start on July 14
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not think it is weird since Mandarin is projected to be the language of the future.  How old is your daughter?  Do they learn about the culture as well or just the language?

Supervane
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:58 AM
She's 6. They're only taking kinder & first.

They will have some cultural emphasis in this program.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I do not think it is weird since Mandarin is projected to be the language of the future.  How old is your daughter?  Do they learn about the culture as well or just the language?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this
We did a spanish immersion magnet for my two boys. It was set up so that 50% were english learning spanish and 50% spanish speakers learning english.

I took Spanish in high school and a semester in college but am not fluent. It went ok for my oldest in 2nd grade but in 3rd he began falling behind as he was beyond my being able to help.

That was when we were informed there were tutors for the spanish speakers learning English because they get federal funding for that so the kids can take the state tests in English but there was no money for English speakers learning spanish.

I decided right then that the program was no longer a good fit for my kids. My younger son, then in 1st was.struggling with a learning disability and overwhelmed with the dual immersion so I pulled both boys. Unless you are willing to learn the language also, or.know native speakers who the child can get help from,I think it will be very hard on everyone.
aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:33 AM
It can be a good experience for sure but is all the learning in mandarin? Do they provide tutors? I agree that if you do not know someone that can help or they do not offer support you will need to learn too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:08 AM
We have a Spanish immersion one at one of our schools but it's run poorly and it's hard to get your kid out if you aren't happy. My ds would love the oppertunity to learn mandarin. We have a large Asian population here. Out y runs a program after school but it conflicts with his karate. I'm bad at languages and he takes Spanish now and it's tough when we can't help him with it. That would be a concern not being able to carry over at home if he needed help. I think it would beneficial in the future to have that skill. Even on a college application everyone else will have Spanish or French but not many unless it's their culture would have mandarin. Would help her stand out. My NLT concern would be if you do it and she doesn't like it is there an out. At the school that does it here you can't just pull your kid you have to reregister them and may have to go to a different school eventhough there is non immersion classes at that school if they are at their max for kids in that grade you will get assigned a new school.
lovemercygrace
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:12 AM

When my husband was in the military, they had something like this except it was spanish. Unfortuatly, we couldn't put our son in it because it went from 1-5th grades and military familes ( due to them moving all the time) couldn't be involved. I really wish that my oldest could have been in that program maybe then he would be doing better than he is in spanish class, it is kicking his butt.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:17 AM

One of our local elementary schools has a Mandarin Immersion program...that would be the only reason I would ever contemplate sending the girls there...unfortunately, the school has terrible ratings so we are going to homeschool instead of sending them to public next year. ( their private school increased tuition significantly or else they'd stay there) 

We have discussed sending our girls to Chinese school which is on Saturdays, but it is a long drive for us and it is about 8 hours long. Our oldest dd is adopted from China and she is ambivalent about it honestly..that is one reason we have not done it yet. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:35 AM

I think it's a great opportunity. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I don't think it would be weird at all, it sounds like a great opportunity.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I think that's a great opportunity.  We don't have anything like it here, but I'd definitely consider it if we did.  When he was 17 my brother moved to Germany to live with my dad.  He spoke no German when he went but he learned a little over a course of a semester while he went to a DOD school.  Then he spent a semester at a local high school.  He very quickly became fluent.  It was a great experience for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN