Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you feel about your child's school, and their current teacher?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:31 PM
  • 65 Replies

Do you like the school? Do they have any special programs you like? And how do you feel about their current teacher? Great? Or you wished they got somebody else?

Right now I LOVE my DD's school (1st grade). They get everybody on the same page. If you need extra help, you're pulled from class at special times. If you're advanced, you get pullled at special times. They have a positive Behavior reinforcement, where kids earn special symbols. When they get 10, they get a special treat. It can be anything from "school store" where they have small prizes. Extra recess, where they get pulled out of class with a group to play. Playdough time. IPad time. Homework pass - they just staple a ticket to the homework that was due. It's a good school.

Her teacher? Wonderful. Very kind and caring. Not quite a enthusiastic as last year, but they just have more work to get done.

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I am happy with all of my kids' teachers. I have one in elementary that has five different teachers and then my junior high and high schooler obviously have multiple as well. My kids each have one or two that they aren't in love with, but as with everything, they must adapt accordingly.

pj2becca21
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:39 PM

The teacher is great, but common core is not helping her at all. She has more subs than her teacher. 

OHgirlinCA
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I have nothing against my children's schools or their teachers.  My only beef with my youngest's school is the lack of parental involvement.  Too many aren't lifting a finger at home to make sure their children are getting the proper education.  The emphasis on education is severely lacking in too many homes.

jaytee
by Jen on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM

The schools could use some work but the teachers are all excellent!

PeggyS87
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:46 PM
My sons current teacher is a joke. She has no control over her classroom. My son has had things stolen out of his desk and she doesn't care. She doesn't even tell the class that is ok. The kids pretty much do what they want. My son complains of headaches because the kids are loud and she says I am sorry. The school in general is not much better but this teacher is something else.
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM
I wouldn't say I love my sons school but I wouldn't say I absolutely hate it. It's going threw a lot of growing pains and they could be doing a lot more for the students.

I will say I do absolutely love my sons teacher. She is 100% the right teacher for him. I wish she would go up a grade so he could have her next year. LOL. She's very strict and will call him out when he needs it but also can joke around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sandiekd21
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I like my kids' school. My only issue with the school is that they don't have individual lines into the kids' classrooms. There's just the one phone and messages are taken to be delivered to the person in question.
I think that each class should have their own line.

DS is in Pre-K and has two teachers. His main one is amazing, great with the kids, nice, welcoming... just awesome.
His second teacher, however, is... not so much. I get the feeling that she just wishes her job was easier, that the parents never came in, and that we're all (students and parents) just a big burden to her.

Same with my 1st grader. While her teacher seems really nice, and genuinely seems to like DSD, I believe that, if I wanted to come and sit in my child's class for a day, I should be allowed to.
This teacher doesn't want ANY parent in her class. She locks the door so you have to knock, says it's the administration that keeps us out, but when they send me to the class and she basically tells me to go away, I see that as hypocritical.

Also, I do not go to the school often, so I'm not being a helicopter mom.

And, I am the only mom involved in DSD's school, so it's not an issue of me being the 'evil step-mom trying to overstep'.

LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Love my son's school but his teacher is a pain in the ass and really doesn't give us a lot of information of what is going on.

m0mmy0ftw02012
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM

i dont like the school or the teachers. i cant wait to move. This school is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M0M0F3B0YS82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM
I love the boys school, they have awesome teachers and the principal takes an interest in the kids and is active with them, the only part is their after school program is hard to get ahold of someone if you need to get them early thankfully they are resolving this issue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)