Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do your schools teach History?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM
  • 38 Replies

And I mean actual history, not "the Pilgrims and the Indians were friends" Disneyfied history.

In SC my kids got the above version of History, they learned briefly (and incorrectly) about Columbus and the Pilgrims/Indians and that was IT for the whole year, it wasn't even history it was a side bar activity done around Thanksgiving and Columbus Day. Nothing else. At all in Elementary, I'm not sure about Middle School.

We moved to California in December and both of my kids are learning actual history (2nd & 5th grade). My 2nd Grader is learning about Vikings currently, before that it was the rise of Islam, before that it was the Middle Ages. My 5th grader is doing Explorers, next up is the American Colonies. I was at the 5th grader's conference yesterday and said that they didn't even teach history in elementary school in SC, the teacher was appalled. My kids weren't behind in any of this because I freaking LOVE History and we watch lots and lots of documentaries at home.

So now I'm wondering, if other states do History in elementary...ACTUAL history.

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

In the primary grades Social Studies standards are usually more about community because young kids aren't developmentally ready to learn about other periods in history. 

Starting in third grade more history is introduced. In fourth grade we cover state history. I make sure it's as accurate as I can. 

I agree about the "Disneyfied" version of history. My class last year became a little feisty about informing anyone who would listen all about Christopher Columbus. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Yes, we teach actual history.  K-2 is about communities, and how they work.  Third grade starts with actual history and they learn about how US government works - towns, counties, states, federal.  As well as the different branches of government.  In fourth grade they learn about the colonies, the Revolutionary War and Civil War.  Fifth grade covers more modern history - WWI, WWII, the great depression, etc.

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM

My 2nd grader is obsessed with history. I'm really glad they teach it here in lower grades.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

In the primary grades Social Studies standards are usually more about community because young kids aren't developmentally ready to learn about other periods in history. 

Starting in third grade more history is introduced. In fourth grade we cover state history. I make sure it's as accurate as I can. 

I agree about the "Disneyfied" version of history. My class last year became a little feisty about informing anyone who would listen all about Christopher Columbus. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Most kids aren't developmentally ready to understand the passage of time. So teaching them what happened 10 years ago or 500 years ago is all the same to them. 

As they get older they can understand the passage of time better and see hoe ten years is much less than 100 years. Then they can better comprehend the changes that happen to societies over longer periods of time. 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

My 2nd grader is obsessed with history. I'm really glad they teach it here in lower grades.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Both of my kids are good at comprehending years, but if you tell them to wait 1 minute for something they'll pause for all of 4 seconds and go "Okay so now?"  LOL.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Most kids aren't developmentally ready to understand the passage of time. So teaching them what happened 10 years ago or 500 years ago is all the same to them. 

As they get older they can understand the passage of time better and see hoe ten years is much less than 100 years. Then they can better comprehend the changes that happen to societies over longer periods of time. 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a developmental issue most kids have until they are forty. 

My husband hasn't quite matured out of this.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Both of my kids are good at comprehending years, but if you tell them to wait 1 minute for something they'll pause for all of 4 seconds and go "Okay so now?"  LOL.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Yes but I find that most history that is taught in school really isn't fact!!  Schools tend to teach the good things and fail to tell the truth about our history in this country!!

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

Yes but I find that most history that is taught in school really isn't fact!!  Schools tend to teach the good things and fail to tell the truth about our history in this country!!

That's Disneyfied History. My oldest DD's teacher doesn't teach fake history, he doesn't gloss over the bad stuff and turn the whole thing into a Disney Musical.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Yes, dd's school teaches history and social studies depending on the grade. They have been learning about past and present for the different areas of the US this year. Next year will be state history. She is in 3rd grade this year.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

One reason for that is people like the much friendlier version we are all familiar with. 

I teach FL history and cover the Spanish Mission era. Well, the Catholic church wasn't all the kind and friendly back in those days.  A parent came to me very concerned about what I was teaching about the church. She had no idea about the crusades or anything. It really upset her as she did her own research.  She never know lots about the history of the Catholic church. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)