Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you think teachers should be evaluated?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Max
  • 70 Replies

Jobs generally have some sort of evaluation process for employees to determine raises and promotions. 

What do you think the process should be for teachers? 

Should their pay be determined by these evaluations?

by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Well, if I wasnt so jaded agInst all those.in the public school system, I would say that their Principal should do an eval just.like and job where a supervisor rates their employees.

However, with all the crap going on in schools I think there needs.to be a panel from the Parents, District and City that oversees each school, and therefore the teachers reviews.

I know.for certqin the principal never wrote up or reprimanded either of DS teachers. One that "lost him" for 2 1/2 hrs and he was not.put on the bus like she said she did. He was found wandering the campus alone hours.later.after having the Sheriffs Dept initiate a search.

OR the one who told the aid, in front of DS, dont bother with Sean, he is just stupid and will never learn."

You need a way to make sure that these peole are retrained, sent for in-service or somehow taught to change their ways.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Oooooo, how about a survey on Survey Monkey?

No joke here.  My school district recently put up a survey on Survey Monkey regarding the Superintendant.  I was cracking up the whole time that I took the survey.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I see what you're saying, but how would the parents, district and city know what's going on in the classrooms?

Parents would have some insight. But can you imagine what would happen if parents did the evaluations? Everyone gets straight As and all perfect reports because the teachers are so scared of pissing off parents.

Do you think if school administrators were better supervised they would be better suited to evaluated?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Well, if I wasnt so jaded agInst all those.in the public school system, I would say that their Principal should do an eval just.like and job where a supervisor rates their employees. However, with all the crap going on in schools I think there needs.to be a panel from the Parents, District and City that oversees each school, and therefore the teachers reviews. I know.for certqin the principal never wrote up or reprimanded either of DS teachers. One that "lost him" for 2 1/2 hrs and he was not.put on the bus like she said she did. He was found wandering the campus alone hours.later.after having the Sheriffs Dept initiate a search. OR the one who told the aid, in front of DS, dont bother with Sean, he is just stupid and will never learn." You need a way to make sure that these peole are retrained, sent for in-service or somehow taught to change their ways.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Our parents are asked to do school climate surveys but they don't reflect on individual teachers. 

Not sure how accurate survey monkey is. LOL

Quoting steelcrazy:

No joke here.  My school district recently put up a survey on Survey Monkey regarding the Superintendant.  I was cracking up the whole time that I took the survey.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the how should be determined at the local level - by the school board.  They would have the principal of each school saying what they think the eval process should be and would, most of the time, do what the principal thinks.  There would be some guidelines set up by professional organizations (like there are for office jobs). But the school board & principals know what's going on in the schools & how it makes sense to evaluate the teachers.  They know if there are lots of ELL students, for example, and evaluate accordingly.

If evals are done like this, then yes, at least a portion of their salary should be based on their eval.  Perhaps just whether or not they get a raise - and how much (like for office jobs).

We can't just not evaluate the teachers at all - but a national (or state) top-down one-size-fits-all method makes no sense to me at all.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I see what you're saying too. 

But shouldn't there be some consistency between schools? What's to stop one principal from poaching teachers from other schools with the promise of a good evaluation?

Quoting GwenMB:

I think the how should be determined at the local level - by the school board.  They would have the principal of each school saying what they think the eval process should be and would, most of the time, do what the principal thinks.  There would be some guidelines set up by professional organizations (like there are for office jobs). But the school board & principals know what's going on in the schools & how it makes sense to evaluate the teachers.  They know if there are lots of ELL students, for example, and evaluate accordingly.

If evals are done like this, then yes, at least a portion of their salary should be based on their eval.  Perhaps just whether or not they get a raise - and how much (like for office jobs).

We can't just not evaluate the teachers at all - but a national (or state) top-down one-size-fits-all method makes no sense to me at all.

AmiJanell
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Teachers ARE evaluated... DH has an eval twice/ year at a minimum. They look at lesson plans, how the class is run, discipline... Issues with parents and teachers are brought up and everything is discussed... And all of these thing determine if he's asked to come back to teach another year.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I honestly thought that it was a joke when I got the notice sent home to take a Superintendant Survey on Survey Monkey.  Unfortunately it was real.  IMO, it seems very juvenille and I'm quite disappointed in the board for creating the survey.  There has got to be a much better way to get opinions from parents other than doing an online survey.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Our parents are asked to do school climate surveys but they don't reflect on individual teachers. 

Not sure how accurate survey monkey is. LOL

Quoting steelcrazy:

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I think peer reviews should be at least part of it.  Have 3 teachers from other schools come in and observe the class for a day and they write a peer review. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I know they are. I am one. 

I am asking parents how they think it should be done. 

Quoting AmiJanell: Teachers ARE evaluated... DH has an eval twice/ year at a minimum. They look at lesson plans, how the class is run, discipline... Issues with parents and teachers are brought up and everything is discussed... And all of these thing determine if he's asked to come back to teach another year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)