Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Measles outbreak in Manitoba and other regions in Canada

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 22 Replies

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-confirms-2nd-measles-case-in-winnipeg-man-1.2586218

Our school sent out a notice last week. They are aware I am a student at the U of M but my son and I are up to date on our shots. However, I understand why some parents do not vaccinate their children (in some religions, and others, just for philosophical reasons).

With that being said, if this happened in your state/city, would you be alarmed? Do you vaccinate your children? I delayed my son's MMR until he was 5. He was fine, but I have two cousins who were diagnosed with Autism coincidentally after they got their MMRs. My mom said I was delayed with my MMR as well.

I understand the risks and complications with these illnesses but I also do not trust 100% giving your kids vaccines in the preferred vaccine schedule the government gives you. I would space out my son's vaccines in his first year. He has been vaccinated against chicken pox and got them last year. 

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this

This is why I vaccinate my children . . .

caligirl7613
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM
I wouldn't be alarmed but I wouldnt set up play dates either. I believe last time there was a measles outbreak here in the US all the kids who got it were vaccinated and the ones who were not vaccinated didn't get it.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I wouldn't be alarmed because my children are vaccinated.

jcm28
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM
We have an out break in Mass.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I'd be very glad my kids are all up to date on their shots, and that I got an MMR booster, I think it was right before getting married.

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM
We had an outbreak last month. Second in past 5 years. This time I wasn't worried we all have been vaccinated but last time was worried about mil because outbreak was located around her work and she was in the age range of faulty vaccines. She did get another when they had the issue in her building.

I get there are some who can't be vaccinated but my kids aren't in that group so me vaccinating them also helps keeps those kids who can't be vaccinated safer. Less chances for it to spread if most people who come in contact with an infected person have been vaccinated.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM
If properly treated measles are no big deal.I've had them as has all my siblings . My husband had them along with his siblings. We all were properly treated and none of us have any lasting effects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I wouldn't be concerned.  All three of my children are up to date on their shots.  That being said when they were infants/toddlers I did do a "delayed" schedule.  I was not comfortable with my infant receiving so many shots at one time and discussed it with their doctor and we together devised a delayed vacc. schedule I was comfortable with.

mommy053008
by Maria on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:10 PM

yes my children are vaccinated 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
jackiewal10
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not be alarmed.  For a few reasons.  1.) I trust in our immune systems.  One doesn't simply come down with any illness unless your immune system is already run down regardless of how much contact you have with an ill person.  That goes for something as simple as a cold to something as serious as HIV.  2.) In (I believe) all the recent outbreaks that the USA has had, something like more than 90% of the cases were people who HAD been vaccinated.  3.) I don't fear measles.  Yes, it sucks if you were to get it.  But it is typically NOT a deadly illness.  If you treat a person with measles appropriately, it is no more deadly than most other "severe" illnesses.  And 4.) Being vaccinated does not mean that you will not catch "whatever". Measles, mumps, rotovirus, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)