Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you do? I really need advice

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:04 PM
  • 65 Replies

My little boy is in first grade and we just had conferences. His teacher wants me to consider holding him back or better yet getting his new school next year to evaluate him for split placement. She said he is incredibly smart... Brilliant actually, but he is struggling with basic reading and writing. On the other hand he excels at math.
She also said he is sensitive and his confidence is easily shaken. She is concerned his teacher next year won't see past his struggles and won't "get" him.
I don't have a problem with him repeating first grade or doing 1st grade reading in second grade but every time I bring it up with him he cries and tells me it's because he's dumb...
So what would you do? 1) have him repeat 2) ask for a placement evaluation 3) let him go on and hope he can catch up in the subjects that don't come easy.

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM
3 moms liked this
Get him support outside of the school. Many libraries and some churches and other groups offer free tutoring. You can pay for Sylvan or another tutoring service tho those are costly.

You can work with him at home. Barnes.and Noble sells Spectrum reading comprehension workbooks for about $8 each.
ditsyjo
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Thanks and we do plan to work with him.... I just don't know if it will be enough

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Get him support outside of the school. Many libraries and some churches and other groups offer free tutoring. You can pay for Sylvan or another tutoring service tho those are costly.

You can work with him at home. Barnes.and Noble sells Spectrum reading comprehension workbooks for about $8 each.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:29 PM
If he excels at math I don't think I would hold him back. What is the school doing NOW to help him with his reading deficiency?
ditsyjo
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:38 PM
We are in a small town right now and the school is really small so there is only what help the teacher has time to give. Next year we will be going to a much bigger city so she is hoping they can place him so that he can do first grade reading and writing and 2nd or maybe even 3rd grade math , science and social studies

Quoting Andrewsmom70: If he excels at math I don't think I would hold him back. What is the school doing NOW to help him with his reading deficiency?
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:54 PM
They don't have any tier of interventions available for students at his school? Where do you live (state)?

Quoting ditsyjo: We are in a small town right now and the school is really small so there is only what help the teacher has time to give. Next year we will be going to a much bigger city so she is hoping they can place him so that he can do first grade reading and writing and 2nd or maybe even 3rd grade math , science and social studies

Quoting Andrewsmom70: If he excels at math I don't think I would hold him back. What is the school doing NOW to help him with his reading deficiency?
ditsyjo
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:02 PM
This school really doesn't there are only 70 students from kindergarten thru 7th grade. We are in northern AZ

Quoting Andrewsmom70: They don't have any tier of interventions available for students at his school? Where do you live (state)?

Quoting ditsyjo: We are in a small town right now and the school is really small so there is only what help the teacher has time to give. Next year we will be going to a much bigger city so she is hoping they can place him so that he can do first grade reading and writing and 2nd or maybe even 3rd grade math , science and social studies

ditsyjo
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:59 PM

BUMP!

ditsyjo
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:01 AM

bump

MamaKieKie
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that placement evaluation would be the best choice.. The evaluation will let you know exactly what in those areas he's having difficulty with.. Also the evaluators will have advice as to what actions and steps to take :) 

best of luck!

ditsyjo
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:28 AM

thanks

Quoting MamaKieKie:

I think that placement evaluation would be the best choice.. The evaluation will let you know exactly what in those areas he's having difficulty with.. Also the evaluators will have advice as to what actions and steps to take :) 

best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)