Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

After- School programs while parents at work

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:54 PM
  • 51 Replies

So for those moms who are out of work when the kids are out of school, Do you have a program after school that the kids can go to when you stay late, or would you prefer to have them go straight home.

I know quite a bit of mothera and fathers that are at work still when kids are out of school and then I see this kids going home and hanging out with gang-bangers and listening and looking to see what these so call adults are doing. Do you think it should be mandatory for a school to have an afterschool program to keep kids out of trouble?1

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I really dislike mandates being put on schools.  But I would hope there would be programs offered by some community organization for the kids to go to after school.  Here, there is a program offered by the local Y, and I think the schools have something as well. (My boys go to a private school & I'm a SAHM so I've never investigated those options.)

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:08 PM

There are a lot of options in our area. The schools have a before and after care program, we have 2 Boys and Girls clubs, a couple of the daycares send mini buses to pick up kids to take to after school care, and one of the churches sends a bus to pick up for their after school program. If a parent knows before 2:30 that they are going to have to have their child go to one of those instead, they call the school w/ the change (and the after care place if it's not the school).

There are enough sahms in our neighborhood that most kids have a plan in place for whose house to go to if Mom and Dad aren't home for some reason when expected to be.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Both my kids school run one. Next year my oldest is in middle school but they still run something at his school. Ours is very structured and is meant to offer academic enrichment. Kids have to stay until pick up. Of he scheduled to leave at 4:15 he can't be picked up before. Starting next year in middle school I don't have to pick him up it ends at 5 and kids are just released. He has to stay because his brother will be in younger half. The after school my sister uses has less supervision and those kids are always wrecking havoc at the neighboring senior center. To be honest when my oldest is in high school because of the age difference if he isn't working after school he will he expected to pick up his brother but then right home.
sarahfire
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the age of the kid really. My aunt picks up and watches my 8 yr old 3rd grader after school, there is no way I would let him walk home and be home by himself for 2-3 hrs until we got home from work.

But for older kids, teens and maybe as young as 11-12, I don't see a problem with staying home alone for a couple hrs while parents work. As long as there are ground rules and your kid is trustworthy.

IDK if mandatory after school programs would really work. Who would pay for all that?

LaughCryLive
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Madatory? No.

What is your definition of a gang banger?

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 6:19 PM
DD is in her school's after school program. Both kids begged us to sign them up (DS is now in middle school and is home alone until I get home). She loves it. When I picked her up today she was playing "Just Dance" on the Wii. Sometimes she does homework there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM
5 moms liked this

This isn't the school's problem and no I don't think that the school should be required to offer babysitting services.  If you aren't comfortable with the neighborhood that you live in, look into moving.  There isn't anything close to a gang banger anywhere near where I live.

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM
2 moms liked this

You can't mandate a school supply after school babysitting. The parents need to take that responsibility and find a suitable sitter or program that accommodates their after school children, if the school does not offer a program.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:26 PM
3 moms liked this
Where I work, we already offer WAY TOO MANY services that PARENTS should be responsible for providing. All students can get free breakfast if they want. A lot of kids get free or reduced lunch. The dental bus comes regularly to provide dental services to anyone who wants it. We are about to start a telemedical service for anyone interested. We have after school programs and with that, all students who participate get an afternoon snack and a meal before they go home at 6pm. So some of our kids get all 3 meals and a snack at school. We also offer a program on Friday afternoon where some kids get a bag of food to take home so they can eat over the weekend.

Expecting the school/government to provide all these services is getting WAY OUT OF HAND. Parents need to step up and be parents and not expect someone else parent for them.
SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:30 PM
My son goes to boys and girls club. I teach in the middle school next to his elementary school. Boys and girls club is located in an unused wing of my school. It's very convenient.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN