Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Any one else....Need some advice!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM
  • 15 Replies

My oldest is in the 3rd grade and we are dealing with all this new common core stuff.  She has always been a good student up till this year! She has always gotten A's and B's this year we are struggleing to get C's. She did really good her first nine weeks in school just like always and then the second rolled around and its like someone hit a switch she just doesn't care or over whelmed or something. We help her every night with her homework either me or my husband or both. If she doens't want to do soemthing she starts crying. Drives me nuts when she does that. Im not sure if she just doesn't care this year or if its the new common core fast track standards or both. I got a call from school the other day and they want to do a meeting which Im fine with but scared to death that they are gonna want to stick her in a bunch of special classes. Which i will not be happy about. I guess my question is does or has anyone had there kid in 3rd grade stuggle so hard?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Is she young for her grade? It could be immaturity. She also could just be over tired. Is she getting enough sleep?

thesimplethings
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM

No shes not to young for the grade shes right in the middle and she gets 11 hours of sleep at night

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Part of it could be hormones. Also, sometimes as kids get older, their problem areas become more compounded. If she's having such a hard time, your best bet is to get her evaluated to see if there is a learning disability of some sort. It's better to diagnose it sooner rather than later so she can be the help that she needs. 3rd grade is a grade where things tend to switch gears and get more serious with more actual work and less "fun" type learning.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with all of this.  Third grade is a huge turning point/change for many kids.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Part of it could be hormones. Also, sometimes as kids get older, their problem areas become more compounded. If she's having such a hard time, your best bet is to get her evaluated to see if there is a learning disability of some sort. It's better to diagnose it sooner rather than later so she can be the help that she needs. 3rd grade is a grade where things tend to switch gears and get more serious with more actual work and less "fun" type learning.

urbpro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I know at our school, third grade is a big change from the lower grades. The kids have to be a lot more responsible and "in charge" of their studies. Things that the teachers used to do for them before, the kids are now required to do on their own. It is a big adjustment but in a few short years the kids will be in middle school where they will have so much more to deal with so it's good to start now and build up to things like having 7 different teachers and having to keep track of so many classes. You might want to check in with your daughter to find out where she is feeling overwhelmed. Is it just one subject or does she have problems in every subject. She might just need help organizing her work and time so that things seem more manageable. Also find out from the teacher if there has been a change in the classroom as far as what is expected of your daughter.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I agree with this also.  Third grade for both of my older children was a tougher year.  They found a lot more was expected of them. 

Quoting mjande4:

I agree with all of this.  Third grade is a huge turning point/change for many kids.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:33 AM
3 moms liked this

Yep, third grade is the big "grow up" year in most schools.  This is also the year that many kids are challenged for the first time and some don't do so well with being challenged.  I would go into the meeting with an open mind and try not to be overly defensive.  Many kids begin to struggle in third grade for various reasons, getting to the bottom of why your child is struggling is what this meeting is all about and the teachers are as concerned as you are.  So try to be open to their suggestions and remember that you sometimes have to try several different things before you know what the actual problem is.

sarahfire
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:08 PM

My 3rd grader is struggling more this year than ever before. Well he never really did struggle before this year. He was always an A/B student and this year he got his first D and C in math in the last 2 grading periods. We don't have common core in Texas but the work is just harder in 3rd grade, here they are getting ready to take the standardized test for the first time the end of this month and all year they have been preparing for that and IMO the teachers have to teach to the test and not what needs to be taught. I actually just changed my child's school because we moved and I was having problems with his old school and teachers (was going to let him stay at the old school til the end of the year but decided to switch now after all). My son is young for his grade, he is 8 and won't be 9 until august. He started K 2 weeks after he turned 5. He never had any trouble at all in school until this year though.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM

It's common for kids to start struggling at least a little in 3rd gr. They are given more responsibility in terms of turning in things w/o a lot of reminders, writing down homework, etc. The work gets harder. First quarter is usualy a review of what was covered last yr, so 2nd quarter is when the "shock" hits. They go from learning how to read and basics of setting, characters, etc to "Why do you think this character did/said that?" Math is really starting to build upon itself, so if they are unsure of basic facts, it will hamper them.

Both ds1 and ds2 had grades go down a little when they hit 3rd gr. Ds2 recovered better than ds1 did; just different kids w/ different strengths and abilities.

Go into the meeting w/ an open mind. Sometimes there are things you can do at home to help, other times it's just a matter of sitting back and letting your child learn to take responsiblity for themselves (which is hard, but necessary).

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM

This topic comes up frequently here.  The immaturity catches up eventually.  Sometimes it's not until junior high or high school, but it ultimately has a negative effect.

Quoting sarahfire:

My 3rd grader is struggling more this year than ever before. Well he never really did struggle before this year. He was always an A/B student and this year he got his first D and C in math in the last 2 grading periods. We don't have common core in Texas but the work is just harder in 3rd grade, here they are getting ready to take the standardized test for the first time the end of this month and all year they have been preparing for that and IMO the teachers have to teach to the test and not what needs to be taught. I actually just changed my child's school because we moved and I was having problems with his old school and teachers (was going to let him stay at the old school til the end of the year but decided to switch now after all). My son is young for his grade, he is 8 and won't be 9 until august. He started K 2 weeks after he turned 5. He never had any trouble at all in school until this year though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN