Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Just got a phone call from ds's teacher...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this
Apparently he's been cursing like a sailor all day (namely the f word) and when confronted, lied and told the teacher I gave him permission to swear!

So I told him on the phone he was going to be grounded when he got home and to apologize for swearing and lying.

I've decided he will spend his day cleaning, when he is done with his regular chores I will find things to keep him busy (extra cleaning). I'm contemplating also not allowing snacks (usually junk food, I'm not denying him healthy food but the kids are allowed some teddy grams after school, a cookie after dinner etc) since he will be grounded. He is usually pretty good in school as we have stressed the importance, and I feel a strict punishment is necessary to set a precedent.

He is in kindergarten. Do you think this is too harsh? I honestly don't. He knows better. I think it will be more effective than taking away his ds, etc. School is extremely important to us, as is HONESTY, and not only did he purposely push limits but he lied, and about me, too.
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:15 PM
I think it sounds fine. I would also have a talk with him about how his lying makes you and his teacher not believe him anymore.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:17 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't think that it's too harsh, however, I do think that you need to get to the bottom of why he is doing it and WHERE he picked the cursing up.

LAHnTAH0812
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Lying has been an ongoing issue m he has been better the past few weeks.. at least I thought so. He will also be writing an apology for swearing and for lying to his teacher.

Quoting Andrewsmom70: I think it sounds fine. I would also have a talk with him about how his lying makes you and his teacher not believe him anymore.
LAHnTAH0812
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:19 PM
He did it to push boundaries, which is normal. He hears swearing everywhere.. can't hide it. However he knows they are grown up words and he cannot say them. It's important to me that my son understand just because somebody else does something, Doesn't mean he can too.

Quoting mjande4:

I don't think that it's too harsh, however, I do think that you need to get to the bottom of why he is doing it and WHERE he picked the cursing up.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM
If the lying is an ongoing issue, then maybe you need more punishment than just chores. What does he love most in the world?
acer.acerpori
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM
I take away electronics if DS is misbehaving. I do not like to take away food.

Mine is in kindergarten too.
LAHnTAH0812
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:49 PM
I usually take away his ds but that hasn't been as effective lately. Taking away his tv affects his little brother so it's really not fair (although ods won't be watching any today). All day long doing chores is going to suck for him, I think it's going to be pretty effective, it's not something I've made him do before

Quoting Andrewsmom70: If the lying is an ongoing issue, then maybe you need more punishment than just chores. What does he love most in the world?
LAHnTAH0812
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:50 PM
He's not a big electronic kid. He loves his ds but he is doing nothing besides chores today so he won't be playing it.

Quoting acer.acerpori: I take away electronics if DS is misbehaving. I do not like to take away food.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Taking away junk food isn't the same as keeping the child from having dinner. Junk is a treat and treats are typically for being good or something extra, not a have to have.

Quoting acer.acerpori: I take away electronics if DS is misbehaving. I do not like to take away food.

acer.acerpori
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM
I never said it was the SAME I don't personally like it and that's fine!

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Taking away junk food isn't the same as keeping the child from having dinner. Junk is a treat and treats are typically for being good or something extra, not a have to have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN