• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Charter School

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM
  • 13 Replies

There is a new performing arts charter school set to open this fall. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of school, and if so what were/are your experiences with it? We're leaning heavily towards enrolling my oldest daughter who is currently homeschooled.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
keisha613
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I entered my kids in the lottery and was placed on the waiting list, so I dont have any real experience. However, there were 400 applicants for 88 spots in Kindergarten this year. The room was packed with eager parents on lottery day. I live in a high income area with really good public schools already, so that means a lot. I have a teenager entering high school this year. Luckily she got into the charter high school via lottery, and she is excited it's more focused on academics and not clicky clubs (her words)
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:12 PM

IDK, quite a few of the charter schools in my area have been investigated for fraud.  Bascially the "head master" would use the school's money to help pay for his own personal homes, boats, planes, vacations, etc.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:37 PM

That's prevalent in my area as well.  I am very leery of any charter schools that are not tied directly to a school district.  I also frequently  "clean up" charter school messes. Many students try and begin their career at a charter school, but then quickly realize that additional courses/activities/etc. are not offered at a charter and then switch to a public.  Unfortunately, they come behind or with very inflated grades and end up not testing in at the level that they think they should be at, which leads to frustration.  I would just make sure that the school progress/credits are  widely accepted at your neighboring schools.  If they aren't, then that is a RED FLAG!

Quoting steelcrazy:

IDK, quite a few of the charter schools in my area have been investigated for fraud.  Bascially the "head master" would use the school's money to help pay for his own personal homes, boats, planes, vacations, etc.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I don't have any experience with performing arts schools, but we have a lot of charter schools and magnet schools in our area. Some charter schools in our area are very successful.

Personally, I am leary of any school just starting up. My son's magnet was around for about 8 years before he started attending it, and I still felt like some bugs were being worked out while he attended it. I prefer my kid to go to a school with an established reputation so that we know what we're signing up for.

meam4444
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Not here, but I hope more mamas have insight.
RTMJDNTARDIS
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM

My daughter tried a charter preforming arts school. she was homeschooled, and autistic.

If your child is advanced, and well adjusted, and requires no acomodations or IEP, it will be great.

but its terrible for children who struggle, have disabilities, or need any help in class.

Also, my daughter had a lot of trouble transitioning from homeschool to a classroom. and it was hard. they had no sympathy, and didnt help.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Around here, it's hit or miss.

They do not receive as much funding as "regular" public schools, so there may be additional fees.

They are still required, in most cases, to implement common core (might not be an issue for you; it is for us).

Charter schools can be GREAT... charter schools can be horrible. Yours sounds like a very focused charter, so you might be in luck.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

DACIA79
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:47 PM
My son goes to a charter school and I love it . If I were you I would wait to see what the school is like first the are more failed charter schools than successful ones.
mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:29 AM
No I don't we only have one in our area Herr is a bump
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think the fact that the school is a charter is any indication  one way or the other of how good the school will be. Some charter schools are top notch, others are terrible. 

I would be very leery of having my child be part of the start of a new school. There are always kinks to work out and the first few years tend to be rough. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)