Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How to pick the right school for my kids.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM
  • 15 Replies
Hi!

I have two twin girls who will be starting kindergarten in the fall- yikes! This will be my first time down this road, so I am completely unaware of what to look for when choosing a school system! I am leaning more towards a public school, but am not opposed to private. What are the benefits of public/private schools? What other criteria should I consider when deciding on a school? Thank you for any help :)
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Public school means that they are paid for by taxes and that they are subject to state regulation. 

Private school means that tutition pays for the school costs, but they are not subject to state regulation.

How the school is funded doesn't mean one school is better than the other. It is best to consider what you think is important for your child's education and whether the school meets those criteria. If you can tour the schools now and talk to parents of kids going to the schools you're considering, that could help make your decision easier.

rachell-marie
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Thank you so much! That helps a ton :)

Quoting Barabell:

Public school means that they are paid for by taxes and that they are subject to state regulation. 

Private school means that tutition pays for the school costs, but they are not subject to state regulation.

How the school is funded doesn't mean one school is better than the other. It is best to consider what you think is important for your child's education and whether the school meets those criteria. If you can tour the schools now and talk to parents of kids going to the schools you're considering, that could help make your decision easier.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM

This actually varies by state - most states have some regulation of private schools.

Quoting Barabell:

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM

You're welcome. Good luck with the decision. We have school choice here, and so we can choose from many school districts, magnet schools, charter schools, and private schools. It can be very hard decision.

Quoting rachell-marie: Thank you so much! That helps a ton :)
Quoting Barabell:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Schools vary a lot by area - so its important to compare the local schools you're considering.  Greatschools.org is a good site to start with.  Talk to local parents, too.

It's impossible to say that public is better than private or vice verse since it can vary so much by school.  One thing I looked at when considering a school for my boys was looking at the honor roll that's published in the local paper.  The family names that I saw on the honor roll for the private schools were also on the honor roll for the public high school (none of the private schools go past 8th grade). So I felt that if the kids were on the honor roll in both the private k-8 schools & then also in the public high school, that the k-8 schools were doing a good job preparing them for the high school.  This doesn't necessarily prove that the private school is better than public, though, since many parents who will pay private school tuition are invested enough in their children's education to get the parental involvement part right.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:47 PM

This is something I kind of don't understand.  We all want the best education for our kids.   I made the decision that I didn't want private school because I could never afford the tuition.  So, I just thought that assumed to the public school in my district.

family in the van   Mom of four

rachell-marie
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Thank you for your input. I will definitely be taking a look at that website

Quoting GwenMB:

Schools vary a lot by area - so its important to compare the local schools you're considering.  Greatschools.org is a good site to start with.  Talk to local parents, too.

It's impossible to say that public is better than private or vice verse since it can vary so much by school.  One thing I looked at when considering a school for my boys was looking at the honor roll that's published in the local paper.  The family names that I saw on the honor roll for the private schools were also on the honor roll for the public high school (none of the private schools go past 8th grade). So I felt that if the kids were on the honor roll in both the private k-8 schools & then also in the public high school, that the k-8 schools were doing a good job preparing them for the high school.  This doesn't necessarily prove that the private school is better than public, though, since many parents who will pay private school tuition are invested enough in their children's education to get the parental involvement part right.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:10 AM

All the private schools around where I am are basically all white schools except for a few black kids that get scholarships to play sports. The private schools here were founded when segregation ended so that the white people could stay segregated basically. That mindset is still very prevelant within the families of the students that attend those schools and elitism abounds there too. Materialism is rampant and I want no part of racism, elitism, or materialism for my son. 

We are very happy with public school. I'm a public school teacher and my son attends in the district where I work even though we don't live in the district. We are blessed with a great school system where I teach and I'm glad my son can attend.

If there is a chance your children might have learning disabilities or something along those lines where they may need extra service, be sure to ask if the private schools offer those types of services. A lot of smaller private schools don't have the ability to meet special education needs for students due to financial constraints.

You also need to make sure that whatever school you pick is accredited. Some schools aren't accredited and that means when kids graduate from those schools, most colleges and universities won't accept credit from the schools.

jackiewal10
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM

This is actually not entirely true.  All schools have to follow and meet state standards for education and they are regulated in that way.  However, in many cases, private schools have to answer to no one.  They don't have to be licensed, the methods don't have to be approved, hell...they don't even have to hire state licensed/certified teachers. That to me is a little scary.  Some of that will vary state to state, but in general...

If you choose public school, you don't get a choice.  You go to the school for which your house is zoned.

Quoting Barabell:

Miss-anonymous
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:48 AM
So true im dealing with it now at a private school. I went to the school board and was told nothing they can do because the school private.

Quoting jackiewal10:

This is actually not entirely true.  All schools have to follow and meet state standards for education and they are regulated in that way.  However, in many cases, private schools have to answer to no one.  They don't have to be licensed, the methods don't have to be approved, hell...they don't even have to hire state licensed/certified teachers. That to me is a little scary.  Some of that will vary state to state, but in general...

If you choose public school, you don't get a choice.  You go to the school for which your house is zoned.

Quoting Barabell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN