Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the difference? cleats

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM
  • 12 Replies

What's the difference between baseball football and soccer cleats?

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Football cleats are the heaviest and most suppotive of the foot and ankle.  Soccer cleats are lightest of the three and the least supportive of the foot/ankle.  Soccer cleats also have the least amount of spikes on them.  Baseball cleats have more spikes near the toe of the shoe for more traction in the dirt.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Also, the shape of the clear is different. Last year one of my dd's was in both soccer and softball but wore soccer cleats for both of them. The umps didn't care as long as something was on her foot.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Our baseball league doesn't permit soccer cleats to be worn for baseball games, but the soccer league permits baseball cleats.

Quoting my4littlegirls:

Also, the shape of the clear is different. Last year one of my dd's was in both soccer and softball but wore soccer cleats for both of them. The umps didn't care as long as something was on her foot.

aj23
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Baseball and football cleats have a toe cleat that helps them grip the ground. Soccer cleats don't have the toe cleat. You can use soccer cleats for baseball and it doesn't make a big difference but can't use baseball cleats for soccer because they dig into the field and affect being able to kick the ball.
Football cleats are usually larger sized cleats and can have a spike or nub in the toe cleat to help.

Just in case you don't know a toe clear is the one under the toes at the toe that id horizontal. On soccer shoes its an empty space there.
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I believe that is common. I was told once that the soccer cleats have "spikes" near the front that make sliding into bases dangerous, but there is no danger for wearing baseball cleats for soccer.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Our baseball league doesn't permit soccer cleats to be worn for baseball games, but the soccer league permits baseball cleats.

Quoting my4littlegirls:

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I've alwasy wondered this too!  Thanks ladies!!

family in the van   Mom of four

Homealonex2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:02 PM
This is not true baseball cleats can't be worn in soccer in less you cut of the top spike. If a child is kicked with the cleat it can really hurt. It's best to buy a pair for both.

Quoting Barabell:

I believe that is common. I was told once that the soccer cleats have "spikes" near the front that make sliding into bases dangerous, but there is no danger for wearing baseball cleats for soccer.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting my4littlegirls:

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM

In addition to the toe spike the laces are different if you get a good pair of soccer cleats the laces are off to the side so they don't interfere with kicking. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Good to know. My son doesn't play baseball though. He's only played soccer. He will be playing lacrosse this year, and I assumed his soccer cleats would work for lacrosse. I guess I should double check that... 

Quoting Homealonex2: This is not true baseball cleats can't be worn in soccer in less you cut of the top spike. If a child is kicked with the cleat it can really hurt. It's best to buy a pair for both.
Quoting Barabell:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting my4littlegirls:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Thank you! Ds wants to try out for soccer this year and if he doesn't make the team then he'll stick with football. I was going to order cleats and all these different pairs came out and figured I should ask the difference before just ordering a pair.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Football cleats are the heaviest and most suppotive of the foot and ankle.  Soccer cleats are lightest of the three and the least supportive of the foot/ankle.  Soccer cleats also have the least amount of spikes on them.  Baseball cleats have more spikes near the toe of the shoe for more traction in the dirt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)