Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Last minute school functions!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM
  • 26 Replies
Everything at my sons school is always last minute! I just got an email 10 minutes ago about a talent show audition TOMORROW! Way to give the kids time to think about what they want to do and to practice before auditioning! Sheesh.

I'm getting so frustrated with this stuff!
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
millieswife
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I know what you mean.Monday my son's baby sitter found out her first grader had to do a big project and have it dropped off by Wednesday. The teacher did not want it going on the bus. Not only that she said the kids had to use a tri fold board. Nearest store is a 30 min drive from us. The boards run around 9 bucks each. The kids don't get home from school till 4:30, I don't pick my son up till 7:30 and bed time is 8. No idea how the sitter did it but she got it all done.(not only does she have my six year old to watch, she baby sits a one year old, has her own one year old and a four year old) Luckily she was able to find someone to stop and get her one while they was in town. I feel bad for the kids who parents don't have cars,don't have the money to go last min for the board, and the parents who have to work and can't take the project in.
Also the school also likes to send stuff you have to pay for home and make money due the next day.
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM
My kids' school is really good about getting notices out. Very grateful for it! Is it possible the school sent home a note before the email that might have gotten lost?
aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Here they communicate nothing, it is up to the kids. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AuntieV
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:17 AM

There is no way I would drop everything to go get a $9.00 board for a project due within 72 hours. I would be calling school about the message and challenging anything that would indicate a lower grade based on an unreasonable request for $9.00 item just to do an assignment.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:18 AM
This:

Quoting beadingmom17: My kids' school is really good about getting notices out. Very grateful for it! Is it possible the school sent home a note before the email that might have gotten lost?
MumsTheWord571
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:27 AM
Nope. I'm the class mom and am always at the school and the email was the first if heard of it. DS is in TK, so I sign him in and out as well as receiving his papers directly from the teacher.

Last month the principal scheduled a PTO meeting at 6 pm and emailed everyone at 530 with a "don't be late" on the email. Uh yeah. My DH works 45 mins from home and doesn't get off until 630 at the earliest unless otherwise scheduled. I missed that meeting! I had to call another Mom to see what the heck it was about! I was mad!

Quoting beadingmom17: My kids' school is really good about getting notices out. Very grateful for it! Is it possible the school sent home a note before the email that might have gotten lost?
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:48 AM
Oldest ds school is like that about something. Some months it's a few days or week into new month before they send out the calendar. I need a month to take time off at work so if I don't find out about something until a week before I'm not going to make it most likely. Especially since we are short staffed at work and it's first come first serve with days off.

I will say its not everything with the school. The title 1 coordinator and special ed department are really good with promoting their stuff in advance. I got the special Olympics notice 2 months in advance.

My other ds school will send out the calendar middle of month prior.
ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:18 AM
My daughter had to sell subs for their feild trips, they got th last friday....money was due wednesday

Quoting millieswife: I know what you mean.Monday my son's baby sitter found out her first grader had to do a big project and have it dropped off by Wednesday. The teacher did not want it going on the bus. Not only that she said the kids had to use a tri fold board. Nearest store is a 30 min drive from us. The boards run around 9 bucks each. The kids don't get home from school till 4:30, I don't pick my son up till 7:30 and bed time is 8. No idea how the sitter did it but she got it all done.(not only does she have my six year old to watch, she baby sits a one year old, has her own one year old and a four year old) Luckily she was able to find someone to stop and get her one while they was in town. I feel bad for the kids who parents don't have cars,don't have the money to go last min for the board, and the parents who have to work and can't take the project in.
Also the school also likes to send stuff you have to pay for home and make money due the next day.
millieswife
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM
I agree. If it been my kid I would of. I wouldn't of made him do it. There would of been no way he could of done it. Not with me working mon-wed 7-7. By time I her him home it is time for his bed time.

Quoting AuntieV:

There is no way I would drop everything to go get a $9.00 board for a project due within 72 hours. I would be calling school about the message and challenging anything that would indicate a lower grade based on an unreasonable request for $9.00 item just to do an assignment.

millieswife
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:24 AM
They give you no time to do anything.
Yesterday my son got a field trip form that is due today. Luckily it don't cost anything. But my kid is sick with a fever and not at school. I can't send it in Monday because they are going on spring break and the field trip in a few days after they get back. Now I have to drag a sick child out to run it up to the school.

Quoting ABCMomma0211: My daughter had to sell subs for their feild trips, they got th last friday....money was due wednesday

Quoting millieswife: I know what you mean.Monday my son's baby sitter found out her first grader had to do a big project and have it dropped off by Wednesday. The teacher did not want it going on the bus. Not only that she said the kids had to use a tri fold board. Nearest store is a 30 min drive from us. The boards run around 9 bucks each. The kids don't get home from school till 4:30, I don't pick my son up till 7:30 and bed time is 8. No idea how the sitter did it but she got it all done.(not only does she have my six year old to watch, she baby sits a one year old, has her own one year old and a four year old) Luckily she was able to find someone to stop and get her one while they was in town. I feel bad for the kids who parents don't have cars,don't have the money to go last min for the board, and the parents who have to work and can't take the project in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)