Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

martial arts

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM
  • 11 Replies
As I have mentioned, my son has ADHD and I've been told that martial arts really helps kids with ADHD with self discipline and self confidence. I'm just wondering how. I hate it when my children watch wrestling because it just makes them want to fight, so wouldn't martial arts do the same thing? Does anybody else have experience with this?
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM
It.depends on the dojo and the attitude of the Sensei/Masters (instructors).

If you get a traditional style school, they will stress.the responsibility of learning martial arts, the importance and strength of.walking away, etc. They will teach sparring (practice) and kumite (fighting/competition).and when and where it is acceptable.

Different disciines stress the values differently also.
MMA (mixed martial arts -like cage fighting) and muai thai are more violent and more damaging to the body.
Karate and kung fu have lots of hits strike.
Ju Jutsu and Judo are more wrestling amd throw oriented.

We (my kids and I) train in Okinawa-te karate which is a mix between the "hard" traditionql karate and the "softer" more flowing traditional Kung-fu.

I must add that I have one DS who is ADHD and it did help him get exercise and focus. The small class sizes and the ability to work at your own pace where a big asset over group sports like baseball and soccer. It also moves at a faster pace and held his attention and focus.
2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

My son is now 25 but where he went as a kid they taught you to hide your warrior and walk away from a fight.

dawncs
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Martial arts is not as bad as you think. It is not violence first, but it is self control first. It is as much offense as defense. However,  offense is a last resort. I have tried tai chi in the past and loved it!

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
There is tons of discipline involved. That is probably why they say it helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Oh and it is not like wrestling imo. There are patterns and stances, breaking boards, etc very little contact especially at the beginning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Like everything else, it depends on the child.  Two of my nephews took martial arts when they were little.  It helped the one who took it seriously.

My friend's son took it and dropped out after a couple of years.  So did my neighbor's son. 

My suggestion would be to find out what your son likes.  If he is interested in something, the self-discipline will kick in automatically.  Good luck.

Firewoman33
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

My sister has ADD. When she was a kid she was in Tae Kwon Do and loved it. It was a great outlet for her and it did help with some of her behavioral issues. 

My son who does not have adhd is in wrestling and his desire to wrestle at home has diminished now that he has a place to go and wrestle with people who want to wrestle with him. Versus trying to wrestle with me while I'm reading or with his 3 yr old sister. lol 

dndboys511
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Thanks everybody, im going to look into it
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:30 AM
My ADHD kid has been taking it for 4 years now. Not sure how much of a difference it makes with his ADHD but in his school they teach as an art or a skill and only encourage it for self defense. They do go over basic self defense and how to handle a bully but totally understands and stresses to the kids it's a last resort in a peer to peer things because we have zero bully policies here so even if a bully punches you you aren't supposed to fight back.
doodles181
by Jennifer on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:35 PM

My son is 10, has ADHD and has taken taekwon-do since he was 6.  It is a strict rule that it cannot be used against any family, friends and pets.  If a parent mentions they have used it inappropriately out of the dojang there are consequences like push ups....my son did not like being embarrassed in front of the other students so that created self-control pretty quickly!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)